Dealing with creditors

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
6 posts Page 1 of 1

YorksGuy

Post by YorksGuy » Sat May 23, 2009 6:29 pm
Dealing with creditors

Good evening,

I am looking for some advice with dealing with creditors; I am at the proposal stage now for my IVA so I am hoping that an IVA will be successful and in place soon.
But until then I am wondering what to do with my creditors. From the start when I was made redundant I told them about my situation and kept them informed. By both phone calls and letters. But now I have missed a payment I am getting the letters and phone calls.
The trouble is in my new job I have been sent for 2 months training in Europe, so the calls are all going to my parent’s house, and they are not very happy with the number. I was wondering if I can make the creditors contact my mobile. I have also made calls to them from Belgium but the cost for these are high when on hold for minuets at a time. Plus I have to work a month in hand so can not make any payments yet that they keep asking for.
I have also been told that its best for me not to make token payments until the IVA has been sorted out. Do creditors listen to this and lay off for some time till the proposal can bee looked over and agreed.

Any help would be most welcomed
Regards

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Sat May 23, 2009 6:32 pm
Why don't you ring the creditors and update your contact details to give them your mobile number? Or why not ring them once a week to adviswe them of your progress.

There is no problem in you making token payments whilst your are waiting to an IVA to be prepared. This may stop some of the calls but it is unlikely to be a sensible long term solution.

Good luck with your proposals.
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sat May 23, 2009 6:33 pm
If you make token payments then you may find that the calls lessen, but there is no guarantee of that.

You can ask that the companies phone you on your mobile - explain that you are working away and not available to speak to them on the number you have provided.

Your parents could always change their phone number to avoid getting these calls.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

David Mond

Post by David Mond » Sat May 23, 2009 6:35 pm
Token payments will stop the phone calls but as you are proposing an IVA presumably that could be done quicker to enable the calls to stop. Ringing your creditors from Belgium will cost a lot of money unless you have Internet access and try Jahja - very cheap method.

Who are you doing your IVA with?
Last edited by David Mond on Sat May 23, 2009 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards, David Mond, Insolvency Practitioner for over 46 years. Personal Insolvency Practitioner of the year 2012, Personal Insolvency Practitioner of the year finalist 2013 & 2014 awarded by Insolvency & Rescue Magazine and 2015 finalist for Personal Insolvency Firm of the Year.

YorksGuy

Post by YorksGuy » Sat May 23, 2009 7:05 pm
Thanks for the advice,
I will keep on calling me creditors and letting them know my situation on a weekly basis. But I have also sent them many letters telling them this. My IP is JonesGiles Limited. I have also passed on the contact details to my creditors and asked that all future communications are sent though my IP, but does this really have any impact?
But I do feel like I obligated to keep my creditors informed all the time and act proactively I hope that this may have a good for my application in the long term.
Thank again for you help and support.

Regards

David Mond

Post by David Mond » Sat May 23, 2009 7:07 pm
Well you are with Melanie´s firm and I am sure she may well be able to stop the calls sooner rather than later. Good luck you are in a safe and good pair of hands.
Last edited by David Mond on Sat May 23, 2009 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards, David Mond, Insolvency Practitioner for over 46 years. Personal Insolvency Practitioner of the year 2012, Personal Insolvency Practitioner of the year finalist 2013 & 2014 awarded by Insolvency & Rescue Magazine and 2015 finalist for Personal Insolvency Firm of the Year.
6 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”