IVA nearly finished - can I get a savings account?

19 posts Page 1 of 2

cakemonster

Post by cakemonster » Mon May 03, 2010 1:54 pm
I'm almost there :D - just midway thru an extra year which I had to do as I couldn't get an equity release.

My takehome's gone up and I want to start to save. has anyone opened a savings account - any recommendations?

Thank you

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Mon May 03, 2010 2:02 pm
Well done for almost being there!

I know some people on the forum have had problems opening a savings account.

You could just open a basic account with a bank such as the Co-op and put the money in there and treat it as savings. I'm sure Skippy did this.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

sjbyron

Post by sjbyron » Mon May 03, 2010 2:22 pm
If you are with Coop then why not give them a ring and ask if you can speak to the insolvency/bankruptcy team, explain that you are coming to the final part of your IVA and that you want to open a savings account see what they suggest, you may just need to write to them and appeal a decision to get one opened. I had to do that after my bankruptcy.

Their are banks/building societies that will allow you a savings account, yorkshire building society is one.

Best of luck
Stu J Byron

Shining

Post by Shining » Mon May 03, 2010 2:40 pm
I had no problems opening a savings account with the Natwest when I first entered into my IVA. x
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

larainep

Post by larainep » Sun May 15, 2011 9:17 am
~I have opened an ISA with the Halifax (although I do already bank with them, which may have made it easier).
59 months down, 1 to go... whoop whoop!

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sun May 15, 2011 9:27 am
I think most people can open savings accounts - Barclays and Nationwide wanted us to open one but no spare money so we couldn't!
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.

antm

Post by antm » Sun May 15, 2011 10:42 am
Ive got an online saving account, i bank through LloyldsTSB and use there online services with an online saving account, only got £5 in it at the moment, but im planning on putting all my spare overtime and pay increases in there, and from next year 10% of my pay is going to go in every month. Frugal planning for after my IVA!!

beresford

Post by beresford » Sun May 15, 2011 11:27 am
Hi, you could consider opening a cash ISA account with NS&I. Their Direct ISA operates by online and postal only but interest rate is decent. I don't think credit history is considered for opening an ISA account, which means no hassle when applying for one. I have one and I just top it up every other month when I have a few pounds to put by. Only drawback is that min deposit each time is £50 so this may quite restrictive. Maybe worth considering though. Good luck with the saving!
Last payment made on 1st Nov 2011. Happy to be debt free!

langerbridge

Post by langerbridge » Sun May 15, 2011 11:28 am
I have found no problems with opening savings accounts. Yorkshire building society & Norwich and peterborough BS no issues. I think even if you can manage £5 a month it all helps. I have one for contingency fund & another for Xmas. We ensure that we budget correctly for this it ain't easy but at least in the IVA we can breath & not drowning.
The road is 72months long starting September 2010.

plasticdaft

Forum Expert

Post by plasticdaft » Sun May 15, 2011 12:07 pm
Co op wouldn't let us open an isa! Strange decision given that its not asking for credit!

Paul
Discharged today the 8th feb 2012. View is much brighter now.
Continuing to rebuild our credit worthiness.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sun May 15, 2011 12:31 pm
How silly! I do know that Co-op are funny about savings accounts though as Skippy has had trouble in the past.
Bob Marley.

beresford

Post by beresford » Sun May 15, 2011 2:55 pm
Co-op also let me down at application stage years ago. They would not consider basic account for me. They weren't even one of my creditors. I have heard good reports of them on this forum though.
Last payment made on 1st Nov 2011. Happy to be debt free!

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sun May 15, 2011 3:17 pm
They are highly recommended and only usually turn down basic accounts in exceptional circumstances these days.
Bob Marley.

olympic_torch

Post by olympic_torch » Sun May 15, 2011 3:37 pm
The savings interest rate is appaling at the moment, just as easy to stick it in a biscuit tin under the bed.
Aucto Splendore Resurgo.
IVA accepted May 2007.
Extended by 12 months in lieu of equity March 2012.
F+F offer accepted May 2012.
C of C received August 2012.
IVA dropped off credit file 24th May 2013.

Shining

Post by Shining » Sun May 15, 2011 4:49 pm
good idea OT but be too accessible for me, I try and squirrel away a little each month and even if it's a couple of quid it does soon mount up. x
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.
19 posts Page 1 of 2
Return to “new bank accounts for IVA”