What are your top five ways to save money?

161 posts Page 1 of 11

vpacchiana

Post by vpacchiana » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:03 pm
There are many ways out there to save money, but not every way is right for every person.

What are your top five tips for saving money?

Tell us here! OR, you can take our poll on Facebook: http://bit.ly/aQOPKC

animaleyes76

Post by animaleyes76 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:42 am
1) Put all your change into vase/container when you get home. It soon builds up to LOADS!!

2) Get a savings account. Even if you only manage to put £5/£10 a month into it, it all helps. Then you can add the money saved from number 1 :)

3) Use moneysupermarket.com to compare the best prices for food

4) Make a shopping list b4 you do number 3 so that you don't buy stuff you don't need.

5) Use the price comparison sites for all the utility company's/insurance etc to make sure you're getting the best prices.
Last edited by animaleyes76 on Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

carole2662

Post by carole2662 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:32 pm
Hi just one tip register with Quidco and get money back for doing what you would do anyway

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:13 pm
I do that Carole and I've had over £300 over the last few years. As you say, you're only doing what you'd do anyway.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:34 pm
I've just registered with Quidco as well.

I do loads of surveys as well - it all helps towards Christmas and birthdays.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

plasticdaft

Forum Expert

Post by plasticdaft » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:04 am
post office stamps.supermarket savings stamps,coffee tin with spare change in it,qyidco,and online surveys!!!

It really does all add up!!!

Paul
Discharged today the 8th feb 2012. View is much brighter now.
Continuing to rebuild our credit worthiness.

Jan01

Post by Jan01 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:08 pm
1)Think before you buy, do you need it?
2)compare prices before you buy.
3)Only take a certain amount of money with you when going out means you don't buy that thing on impluse.
4)Try to have at least one day week when you don't spend any money.
5) look in charity shops for good quality clothes, books
6) use the library
7) try the lower cost supermarkets some things are very good--Aldi's frozen fish is great.
8) use supermarket reward vouchers for goods day out, Tesco vouchers average for every £5 get £20 in days out vouchers or resturant vouchers.
9) Take up home baking can make so many cakes for the price of a doughnut.
10) use up left over veg for tasy veg soup--freezes well.
11) take lunch to work and save £4-5 a day.
12) look at BOGOF's do you need or share cost with a friend so get the item for half price.

Jan
Nothing you can buy feels as good as not being in debt.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:27 pm
We do a normal weekly shop and after that it is only bread that we stock up on.

I always use our Tesco vouchers for Christmas - means we don't spend too much cash on food and drink.

When hubby does a stew, curry, chilli, spag bol then he does a really big one and then portions it up so we have loads of meals frozen.

I must admit that sharing a bogoff with a friend is not something I would do. The ones that I do buy are the ones I use myself and I just put the other one away.
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.

carole2662

Post by carole2662 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:43 pm
Went in to Tesco today and the lady on the checkout said that her husband works the night shift putting the new prices on. Last night he put price increases on 347 items. Our Tesco is only a smallish one with that many price rises so no matter how much you try to save some one is there to take it off you.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:31 pm
I do tend to check prices between the two. Whichever is cheapest is what we go for.
Bob Marley.

plasticdaft

Forum Expert

Post by plasticdaft » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:28 pm
Tesco's had homepride chilli cook in sauce for £1.40 the other day,sainburys was only £1.09 and asda was only 94p. It pays to shop around big style!!!

Paul
Discharged today the 8th feb 2012. View is much brighter now.
Continuing to rebuild our credit worthiness.

Shining

Post by Shining » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:51 pm
I agree with shopping around and I know for some it's not convenient or ideal but I tend to use more than one shop for my main shopping, I'll walk to various shops as I tend to know now where the bargains are.

I also put all oddments from my bank account i.e balance £2.79, transfer the .79 online over to a savings account as soon as there is £15.00 in the savings and it doesn't take long I go out for a 2 for a tenner meal and a drink each...it keeps me going and there's always a round amount in my main account.

Any change as above from my purse goes into one of those tins you need a tin opener to open, I do have one full one upstairs and just started on a 2nd that's for holiday spends though. It does soon add up. x
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

Mrs Pish

Post by Mrs Pish » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:41 pm
Menu plan and only buy what you need.

Drive everywhere at 60. Very boring but it really makes a difference.

Cook everything from scratch.

Aldi! I'm almost evangelical about this, they should hire me for their marketing department.

O/T but Lesley, are we allowed savings accounts?
Last edited by Mrs Pish on Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:50 pm
You are allowed a savings account.

As we have everything we need for hubby to create meals from scratch, plus we always have portions of everything in the freezer then we don't need to meal plan. I like a surprise when I get home from work!

I hate Aldi - do not like their stuff at all.

I drive at the speed limit when I can. It's mostly 30 and 40 where I live but I will drive at 70 on the motorway.
Bob Marley.

Mrs Pish

Post by Mrs Pish » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:07 pm
I didn't realise that, thanks.

I think Aldi is a real marmite shop but I do love it! Not everything is cheap though, non food stuff can be extortionate. I like the 39p/69p fruit and veg ranges.
161 posts Page 1 of 11
Return to “money saving tips”