Solicitor bankruptcy search

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
34 posts Page 1 of 3

stephendl

Post by stephendl » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:56 pm
Just want to check something,

I have applied and been accepted for a nationwide mortgage, went into branch and completed full application for a property we have brought. She asked me if I was ever made bankrupt but not if I was in a Iva, so I said no,

Now looking at the legal searches it says there will be a bankruptcy search carried out,

My question is they search the insovancy register, and go back 100 years so I've read, will I be on there even though I was in a Iva and not bankrupt? It's been 6 years and my credit report are all clean hence the acceptance

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:59 pm
If they specifically used the word bankrupt, then you answered honestly, so you are OK from that point of view. What they will do if they discover the IVA is anybodies guess at the moment.

Best of luck, let us know how it turns out.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:00 pm
Once your IVA is complleted then it should have dropped off. Check it for yourself. You'll see what they can see.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

stephendl

Post by stephendl » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:22 pm
Yeah she specifically said "have you ever been made bankrupt" I came off the insolvency register last year, about 13 months now so I am no longer on there but what I'm thinking is, will the solicistor go back say 6 / 10 years? Also I guess even though it's a bankruptcy search an iva will show on there?

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:24 pm
I don't know how far they go.back but it will say IVA if they find anything.
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.

stephendl

Post by stephendl » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:37 pm
Hmm, so my mortgage could get thrown out, ok thanks for your help, much appreciated

Daveyboi

Post by Daveyboi » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:05 pm
They have specifically asked if you have been made "bankrupt", if it does come up on their search that you have been in an "IVA" you have not lied and hopefully it won't affect their judgement. If they were concerned about that they would have asked if you have ever come to an agreement with your creditors before on debt.

I wish you the best of luck keep us updated and don't be too defeatist too soon it may all be well. Also if they do reject you there are companies that don't mind post IVA's so don't give up hope. There's always a solution somewhere :D
DaveyBoi - Just Keep Smiling :)

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:08 pm
Good luck from me as well.
Bob Marley.

plasticdaft

Forum Expert

Post by plasticdaft » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:08 pm
There is no record of your IVA though,after it drops off the credit files,other than if any creditors keep records of customers who went into an IVA themselves.

Paul
Discharged today the 8th feb 2012. View is much brighter now.
Continuing to rebuild our credit worthiness.

Adam Davies

Post by Adam Davies » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:15 pm
Hi
Whenever you buy property, regadless of your credit history, the solicitor will carry out a bankruptcy search.

You have nothing to worry about

Regards
Andam Davies

Daveyboi

Post by Daveyboi » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:15 pm
In previous threads it has been said that companies can basically print off the insolvency register and then no matter whether you are on it now or not they can search you forever more that you have been on it. Whether this is true or not I don't know but I do know that if you are asked if you have been in an IVA or ever come to an arrangement with your creditors I would say answer truthfully as you could be done for fraud if you lie on a legally binding contract such as a mortgage and is really not worth it.

Adam Davies

Post by Adam Davies » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:32 pm
Hi

I am not aware of it flagging up on the Insolvency Register unless you are still on there.

Answer truthfully, if asked have you ever been made bankrupt and you haven't then you have nothing to worry about. If it states have you ever been made bankrupt or entered into an arrangement with your creditors then the answer should be yes.

Regards
Andam Davies

Daveyboi

Post by Daveyboi » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:38 pm
Andy it was in a previous thread where some companies do a kind of yearly download of the Insolvency register which of course shows IVA's as well as bankruptcy then they have a database of their own to search in the future so whether you are on the insolvency register or not you could still be searchable. Basically by making it an online database and so accessible it means companies can use that information in the future against you potentially.

As I have said and you appear to agree just answer truthfully and then nothing can be held against you

stephendl

Post by stephendl » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:58 pm
Would a solicitor do this though? I have answered it truthfully she asked if I was bankrupt I said no. I was in a Iva but never bankrupt
Last edited by stephendl on Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Daveyboi

Post by Daveyboi » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:01 pm
I very much doubt it Stephen I think you have answered everything truthfully and have nothing to worry about. If you do have any problems my advice stands to not give up hope and just research into companies who are accepting of post IVA candidates. I think you will be fine.

34 posts Page 1 of 3
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”