New Questions
 Can I have some help please ?

Share this post with your friends

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LincolnPaul

3 Posts

Posted - 03 February 2012 :  18:53:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can I have some help please

Between moving out of the marital home and the divorce being finalised my ex wife entered into an IVA. I have only just discovered this fact. I want to sell the house but her solicitor says can't do so because of the IVA. Is this true?

I don't think she told the IP that there was a joint secured loan on the house which I have been paying. If the house is sold does this debt get paid off first with any equity in the house?

I have found out that she is also £3000 in arrears on the mortgage payments. What can I do to stop her further wrecking my credit rating

Foggy

Foggy

IVA completed.

United Kingdom
12969 Posts

Posted - 03 February 2012 :  19:02:05  Show Profile  Visit Foggy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi. Because of the IVA there is a restriction on the sale of the house. It can still be sold, but the proceeds will go into the IVA ( at least your wife's share). Although it sounds as though there wouldn't be any equity after the arrears were met and the secured loan settled..

She could get into strife with her IP for not disclosing the joint loan, which might fail her IVA, although you are still responsible for the loan if she doesn't pat in any case, being a joint debt.

If the house is sold, the mortgae has first priority, the secured loan then ranks second. After fees etc the rest will, presumably be divided between you and your wife's share goes into her IVA.

The only way to stop the damage is to remove yourself from the mortgage and secured loan, which wouldn't be easy, unless the house id sold and there is enough from the proceeds to settle these. Any other joint finances should also be severed.

Any opinions I express are merely that .. opinions based on experience. I am no expert but have difficulty in keeping my mouth shut. You have been warned :-)

IVA Completed with funds paid to date 23rd July 2013 .... Completion Certificate 10th January 2014

Visit my blog here : http://foggy.blogs.iva.co.uk/
Go to Top of Page

Rosepetal
IVA Artisan

Rosepetal

IVA completed.

United Kingdom
1298 Posts

Posted - 03 February 2012 :  19:11:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi, the best advice for you is to seek proper legal advice.

you must be shocked as well as stressed with everything else. most solicitors will give you the 1st half hr free so think about what you need to ask beforehand,make a list.

good luck.

Nothing stays the same...everything changes..hang on in there!
Go to Top of Page

luluj

luluj

United Kingdom
7704 Posts

Posted - 03 February 2012 :  19:20:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forum. The advice so far is good and you do need to ensure you take advice that will ensure you maximise your return from the sale of the house.

Unfortunately your wife entering into an IVA does mean the sale of the house is not as straightforward as had hoped.

CAB maybe a good starting point for further advice.

An IVA.co.uk Mentor is someone sharing from their experiences of dealing with debt

There is a solution for everyone .... Just need to stay positive !

Look at my blog "All I wanted was a baby"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
Can I have some help please ? - T42780 - The IVA Forum - Indiv.. © IVA.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.98 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07
Ask our experts a question, it will be posted on our forum
  • Simply complete form and you will get an answer from our experts
    (multiple replies within an hour *)
  • Your Question:
  • Your First Name:
  • Your Email:
  • Your Mob/Tel:

(optional)
  • Please Enter the Text in the image: Captcha

• The Question will go to our industry wide panel of experts:
    Melanie Giles Bridgewood Finance Solutions Debt Free Direct Bright Oak
    Mc Cambridge Duffy Andy Davie CCCS Vincent Bond and Co Ltd
  • * The question will be posted on our forum, we will email you the location
IVA CALCULATOR
IVA CALCULATOR
  • Do I qualify?
  • How much written off?
  • Monthly payment amount?
  • Total Debt:
    £
  • No of creditors:
  • Income:
    £
  • Expenses:
    £
  • Own home?
    Yes No
  • NOTE:

An IVA is not for everyone. This calculator will simply tell you whether it is an option for you.

• Live Help
Social Media
Clear my debt

-Talk to an iva.co.uk advisor
-Relaxed chat, discuss options
-No upfront fees

• Name
  • Email
  • Tel
  • Total Debt
  • What's the sum of 2 + 7 ?
    (spam protection)
Chat Now
Live Help
IVA.co.uk Newsletter
Reviews for IVA.co.uk
IVA.co.uk is rated 4.9 on a scale of 5 based on on reviewcentre.com.
Latest review:
So Glad We Did It - by , 19/09/2012
5/ 5stars
I have to admit to being less than keen to investigate the idea of an IVA as we had already gone down the route of a DMP with another company but this hadn't worked out. Hubby pushed for an IVA and started the ball rolling, however once we had started the process i soon realised how beneficial this would be. Andy Davie at Vincent Bond was fantastic, he went through the whole process with us fully and explained everyhing thoroughly. We are now almost 2 years in and haven't looked back.