Hi,I'm a little confused as to the time scale of being debt free after an IVA.

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
4 posts Page 1 of 1

Realistic

Post by Realistic » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:02 pm
Hi,
I'm a little confused as to the time scale of being debt free after an IVA. Some companies are saying 6 years after the start of agreement, others are saying 6 years from the end of agreement.

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:46 pm
You will be debt free once your IVA completes which is normally 5-6 years. Your credit file will be clear 6 yeras after the IVA started irrespective of the length of the agreement.
Michael Peoples | McCambridge Duffy Insolvency Practitioners
http://www.mccambridgeduffy.com
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:25 pm
Michael's advice above is, of course, dependent upon the issue of the completion certificate, and the correct dating of any defaults. Useful guide here:

http://pjgrecovery.com/clean-up-credit-rating.asp

The 6 years after the end of the agreement possibly comes from the fact that several mortgage lenders apply this time limit on mortgage applications. This is a purely arbitrary time chosen by some lenders.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

Adam Davies

Post by Adam Davies » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:07 pm
Hi

Foggy is correct, some mortgage lenders will not entertain a mortgage offer unless there is a 6 year gap from the completion of an IVA

However your credit file should be clear six years from when your IVA started, you can then start to rebuild your credit file/take out credit again

Regards
Andam Davies
4 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”