What effect will it have on partner and children when I move in, and how will it effect my IVA ?

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
8 posts Page 1 of 1

James.ab

Post by James.ab » Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:22 pm
I am moving in with a partner who has 3 children. How will it affect her and her benefits ? How will her dependants effect my IVA ?
She has no debt, and is looking at the right to buy her council house.

Shining

Post by Shining » Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:27 pm
Hi, sorry your post has been overlooked to now.

I'm not sure of the impact of you moving in in respect of benefits, that would be up to the benefit office to deal with but in my experience they would be cut.

Your IVA is just that yours and although your IP may want to know about your life changes and you may be asked to provide a fresh income and expenditure giving details of your partner's income to ensure it's a fair split on the household expenses. I think the biggest thing here is any means tested benefit your partner is now entitled to may well be affected.
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

James.ab

Post by James.ab » Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:29 pm
My question has been worded wrong I'm aware her working tax credits will be stopped , so with me moving in I now have to provide for her and her children as her wage is so little my problem is will my Iva ppl accept this or will they just look at the income coming into the house as it's un fair for them and her to get punished for a mistake I made.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:09 pm
Most IPs will look at her income only to indicate the fair, pro-rata, share of the household expenses to include in your allowances. Payplan, it appears, tend to take the whole household income to arrive at a disposable income figure.

The thinking behind this is that the partner ( in a long standing relationship) will have benefitted from the past credit and so should contribute to the repayments. In any event I regard this line of thought as somewhat presumptuous and, in this particular case wouldn't apply.

Let's hope you are using a different firm !
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

James.ab

Post by James.ab » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:19 pm
Thanks for replying my debts were way before I got with her and I'm starting to think taking this Iva out was the worse thing I've ever done as it is going to effect her I'm trying to do everything the right way

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:32 am
You could agree an amount of 'board' to pay her so effectively be a lodger. This would not involve her income at all and provided the amount paid was fair I see no problem.
Michael Peoples | McCambridge Duffy Insolvency Practitioners
http://www.mccambridgeduffy.com
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com

James.ab

Post by James.ab » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:08 am
Thanks for you're reply my problem is with me moving in she will loose £250 a week her 16 year old will loose £30 a week will the Iva take into account the money she is loosing and that there is 3 kids in the house which I will have to provide for financially

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:14 pm
In this case you would need to do a full review of the I&E as your surplus income could drop dramatically or even disappear altogether. Creditors may accept a reduction in payments given the circumstances but that is not guaranteed.

Have a word with your own IP who should be able to calculate how your payments would be affected and advise based on this.
Michael Peoples | McCambridge Duffy Insolvency Practitioners
http://www.mccambridgeduffy.com
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com
8 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”