Can anyone help ? I have had a ridulous quote for new car insurance which I can't afford.

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
5 posts Page 1 of 1

Blondey1982

Post by Blondey1982 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:02 pm
I am currently in an IVA n recently had to change my car insurance as I changed vehicles. I used to pay £32 a month n now they have put it up to £85 even tho I went from a 2 litre to a 1.2!! Which sounds ridiculous! I cant afford the cancellation fee n can't afford monthly payments like that!! They r threatening to send me the nasty letters if I don't! But part of me wants to go with someone diff as I hav found quotes so much cheaper! I don't know how this will affect my IVA as its a new debt chasing me?! I'm concerned n don't know what to do! I need my car to work but paying that much a month n a massive cancellation fee is not something I can manage. Can anyone help!? Thank u

lifenoteasy

Post by lifenoteasy » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:32 am
I'm afraid that that there is little that can be done other than ask your IVA company to reduce your payments for a while.

This sort of happened to me (but not that dramatically) - apparently insurance companies son't like you changing cars during a policy.

After my policy finished I went to another company and saved £20 per month.
IVA started March 2011, Completed March 2016 and certificate issued 11 days after final payment. It was not always easy but then some of the best decisions aren't.

Shining

Post by Shining » Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:02 am
Hi, is there any way you can ask your IP if you can pay the cancellation fee with part of your Iva payment (assuming this covers this). Take the much lower monthly payment insurance and repay the IVA company a little bit each month to catch up As you say you need a car to get to work as without work, there'll be no IVA payment. Have a word with your IP and see if they are able to suggest anything to help.
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

esgt1967

Post by esgt1967 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:40 pm
Hi, surely if this is the new cost of your car insurance then you need to advise your IP and do a revised I&E with the higher amount? If the increase had been a much smaller amount it wouldn't really have mattered and you probably could have afforded it but this is a significant increase and I don't see why your IP can't redo your I&E taking this into account.

Lisa Thomas

Industry Expert

Post by Lisa Thomas » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:03 am
I think your IP can take this into account when calculating your revised disposable income.

S/he can probably use their discretion to reduce your contributions for a small amount rather than the need to call a formal variation meeting of creditors.
I'm a licensed IP with 16+ yrs at Neville & Co covering the South West area. I have a YouTube channel with advisory videos on here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMPTTu ... Z5k9ZcC2MA http://www.nevilleco.co.uk 01752 786800 Lisa@nevilleco.co.uk
5 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”