Is it in my best interests to change banks now ? I have 10 months of my IVA left.

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
27 posts Page 2 of 2

Alison.88

Post by Alison.88 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:00 pm
Thank you everyone for your kind advice. I have made an appointment with Barclays for 30th Nov. Hopefully I can open a basic account that offers what merl in has said, so I hope I have better luck with this,
I am so proud of myself for getting this far in my iva but feel so degraded about seeking help. Pride has a lot to do with it I know, but feel hurt as my present situation was due to an ex partner. That's what you get from falling in love with the wrong person, lesson learnt!

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:55 pm
Don't feel degraded!!! You are still a worthwhile person and we all need help in someways sometimes.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

MerlinL14

Post by MerlinL14 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:43 pm
Feel proud and empowered that you had the courage to admit you had a financial problem and stood up to do something about it. Seeking help is the best thing you could have done, hiding your problems and doing nothing about them is the wrong path to take. It takes something like this to open your eyes and educate yourself about budgets and balances but the end reward is amazing, it really is.
Last Payment made 04/12/14. Completion Certificate 25/7/15. IVA company GT. No Issues

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:04 pm
Thankfully Alison is nearly there - just a problem with the bank account.
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.

Alison.88

Post by Alison.88 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:23 pm
I know, today has been a little set back but not long to go now. Thank all of you for your thoughts and advice I appreciate it very much

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:25 pm
Keep going!!! Let us know how the bank account goes.
Bob Marley.

Alison.88

Post by Alison.88 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:21 pm
Just to let you all know, i opened a basic account with barclays in nov and was so pleased and relieved. I thought i posted this earlier but looks as though it didnt send. But i would like to thank everyone again for the advice. And yes opening a basic account can be done. One more payment to go and feeling excited and great.

linrog

Post by linrog » Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:41 am
well done we were with think money for 3 years into our iva and due to huge increase in fees we hit the bullet and went in store to barclays and they were great now with them 18 months and will be staying with them well done gain
full final paid over 29/2/16 cc arrived 12/4/16 its all over

Lisa Thomas

Industry Expert

Post by Lisa Thomas » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:55 am
Well done Alison you are almost there!
I'm a licensed IP with 16+ yrs at Neville & Co covering the South West area. I have a YouTube channel with advisory videos on here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMPTTu ... Z5k9ZcC2MA http://www.nevilleco.co.uk 01752 786800 Lisa@nevilleco.co.uk

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:22 am
That's great news - Barclays are pretty good as are Nationwide and Co-op.
Bob Marley.

Starry30

Post by Starry30 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:43 pm
I loved my nationwide account I'd had it since I was 16 and was gutted I had to leave due to having a credit card in my Iva it was only a small amount and they declined the Iva haha obviously had to follow suit as my one of my biggest creditors voted yes, I'm with Barclays too just the basic account but it works for me my partner was allowed the current account though he has 2 of those which we opened online and they've never had a problem even when I went in to ask them to print statements for our Iva f&f offer I thought they would question me when they asked why I needed them but no she was very understanding

MerlinL14

Post by MerlinL14 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:37 pm
I opened a basic account with Barclays about the same time from completion as you Alison. Once my IVA completed and my name was off the IR (2 days after completion) they upgraded it to a full current account. I have the current account, a low interest Barclay Card CC that gets paid off every month so I have a zero balance for start of new month, a great credit score and piece of mind.
Last Payment made 04/12/14. Completion Certificate 25/7/15. IVA company GT. No Issues
27 posts Page 2 of 2
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”