Vet bills!!

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
16 posts Page 1 of 2

Skintmummy

Post by Skintmummy » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:40 am
Hi again, back again with a new problem, our kitten who's 1 in November was bitten last week in the night,it was quite nasty and cost £70 in treatment however they gave it a week to heal before they said he may need stitches, he's still in the 1st 2 weeks of his insurance policy and we can't claim for his injury, last night he ripped his collar cone off and has licked it something awful into a gaping wound now, we're back to the vets tomorrow now and stitches is £300 [V][:(]

My husband gets a £700 bonus from work this week in his pay packet which we were going to call the ip and give them but now this is the only money we have to pay the vet for stitches being in an iva budget are we allowed to use some of it if we can provide the receipt or will they expect us to add it to our monthly payments or an extension to pay it [:(]

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:48 am
Hi,

Sorry to hear about your kitten and hope he makes a full recovery.

Speak to your IP tomorrow to see if you can use this money or, if needs be, take a payment break so that he can recover.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:53 am
Only half of the bonus, at most, is due to the IVA, assuming you have the standard clauses regarding extra income. Check your paperwork.

Other than that, your IP might allow a payment break, which will be tacked on at the end.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

Shining

Post by Shining » Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:05 pm
Oh no poor kitty. Obviously the health of the cat is paramount here and I do hope your IP sees fit to see you taking a break to cover the cost of the vets fees. Where I live there is a vet who will allow big bills to be paid in smaller chunks of payments, is this something you can ring around and ask, also the PDSA may be able to help?

Like Foggy says, it's possible it's not all due to be paid into the IVA and therefore you would have the income to pay.

Hope you get sorted and healing hug to your cat.
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

Skintmummy

Post by Skintmummy » Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:59 pm
Thank you for your replies, we're off to the vet tomorrow to see what he needs done,

When we entered into the iva my husband was self employed so never had a bonus he started an employed job last September so this is the 1st time weve encountered a bonus and what to do with it, I guess I can only ask the ip what happens to it when we call them tomorrow, is it not normal for them to take it all then seen as a windfall? This is a whole new obstacle to us! Xx

Shining

Post by Shining » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:11 pm
Hi there again, take a look in your proposal it may be written in there. What would happen with any bonus received.
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:18 pm
I am sure that something can be sorted out with the kitten. Let us know how you get on.
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.

luluj

Forum Expert

Post by luluj » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:20 am
Hopefully things can be sorted today at the vets for you. Let us know how she gets on.

Re the bonus I would like others have said be looking in my proposal report or chairmans report to establish what the terms of your iva say .. hopefully only 50% will .... need to ne handed off

There is a solution for everyone .... Just need to stay positive !

Look at my blog "All I wanted was a baby"

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:10 am
It may even be less than half the bonus. You can usually keep anything that does not increase your net take home pay by more than 10% and it is then 50% of the rest. Therefore is your husband usually takes home £1,000 he keeps the first £100 and halves the rest. If he takes home £2,000 he keeps the first £200 and so on. Regardless the health of your kitten is paramount and I am sure your IP will be able to help even if it does mean an extra payment at the end.
Michael Peoples | McCambridge Duffy Insolvency Practitioners
http://www.mccambridgeduffy.com
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com

Skintmummy

Post by Skintmummy » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:20 pm
Hi all my husband phoned the ip this morning and she said as it's only 6% of his annual salary we can keep it all!

She said we can keep anything under 10% of his salary so that covers the vet bills and we've just come out of the vet and it is healing by itself still, slightly infected but he has another weeks antibiotic in his system still and keep him in with the cone on and salt water bathing and it should heal itself up, we have to go back again next week and check him again...spent £110 and counting so far poor kitten but hopefully not much more and he should be healed soon! At least we have the money for stitches if needs be!

Thanks again all! X

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:29 pm
That's brilliant news! Good on your IP as well and fingers crossed that he makes a full recovery (the kitten that is - not the IP!)
Bob Marley.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:34 pm
Good news -- not sure about the method your IP uses, but it works well for you.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:56 pm
At least you do not have to worry about the bonus or IVA now and can just concentrate on the kitten.
Michael Peoples | McCambridge Duffy Insolvency Practitioners
http://www.mccambridgeduffy.com
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com

Skintmummy

Post by Skintmummy » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:27 pm
Thanks all yes I wasn't too sure on their workings out compared to advice in here so I've worked it out on the method in here and we would keep £500 so I've put the other £280 away incase they've worked it out incorrectly and ask for it later x

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:43 pm
Sounds like she is allowing you 10% up front and, after that is used, will expect 50% of the next bonus, if in the same year. But it is always a good idea to keep a little nest egg tucked away, if you can.
16 posts Page 1 of 2
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”