If I use an alternative claim company for PPI can I be held responsible for any costs to date ?

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
11 posts Page 1 of 1

andrewf

Post by andrewf » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:13 am
Creditfix have nominated Allay Claims Ltd. to handle PPI claims. Bad customer service and excessive T's&C's make me think I might prefer another PPI claims company.

I suppose 2 questions.

1) Do I have to go with Allay Claims Ltd. for PPI Claims?
.... Creditfix told me they would call within a 72 hour time slot. I complained a week or so later when I still had not received the call. I complained to both Allay and Creditfix on the same e-mail. This prompted Allay to call me, which consisted of what seemed to be a script of you must sign and fulfil your IVA terms, or I will be held responsible for all costs to date if I do not fulfil what I had agreed to do. I found the attitude quite rude and aggressive. I have received the document packs and whilst I am no expert on the workings of a PPI claim, some of the terms seem over the top and not what i want to agree with, such as giving them authority to access all personal information held by the lender or third parties, together with it being stipulated that they may share any information or personnel data with sub-contractors or affiliates? This morning between 06:41, and 06:43 I received the same email sent 5 times. The email requests I provide copies of Driving Licence, Passport and or Bank Statements to help speed up your claim. To be honest I am horrified this company has my email and phone number.

2) If I can and choose to use another Claims team, Can Allay hold me responsible for any costs to date?
...It's been less than 14 days since we spoke, and I have not agreed to any of Allay terms in writing since then, (I did agree to proceed on the phone at the time, as it felt like if I didn't I would receive a bill, and Creditfix would be told i refused to claim PPI)

Thanks in advance for your help, this forum is a god send...

andrewf

Post by andrewf » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:26 am
sorry for such a bad written question. i feel embarased reading it back....... i talk even more sh17 by mouth...

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:55 am
You may be able to use a different firm but you could incur costs with them especially if a creditor offsets against any debt in the IVA. It might be just better to use the one that has been recommended to you.
Michael Peoples | McCambridge Duffy Insolvency Practitioners
http://www.mccambridgeduffy.com
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com

Lisa Thomas

Industry Expert

Post by Lisa Thomas » Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:00 pm
ON the assumption the net proceeds will be paid into your IVA, it shouldn't really make any difference to you.
I'm a licensed IP with 16+ yrs at Neville & Co covering the South West area. I have a YouTube channel with advisory videos on here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMPTTu ... Z5k9ZcC2MA http://www.nevilleco.co.uk 01752 786800 Lisa@nevilleco.co.uk

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:09 pm
We have had posters in the past who have used their own firm and the creditors either offset the PPI against their own debt (HSBC like to do this) or paid the PPI straight to the IP. The claims company then looked to the debtor for the 30% fee. So there is an element of risk.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

andrewf

Post by andrewf » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:15 pm
Allay are charging a 39% fee.

it is written they will not charge if 'offset' redress is made.

Even though the service seems rubbish, I suppose your right i should just go with the flow and let them identify if there are any valid claims, maybe I am just worrying about nothing.

I still feel as if I am being rail roaded to this company, and don't know why, but as scooby doo says 'I have a bad feeling about this'

Forced to provide authority to access all my financial and personal history held by any lender or bank that I have had an account with both recent and historic, and then agree they can share this information with anyone they like. Just feels somehow wrong.

andrewf

Post by andrewf » Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:14 pm
Out of interest has anyone on here claimed miss sold PPI them self?

Seems quite a simple process According to Martin at the money saving expert..

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclai ... 1477598920

in-a-mess-indeed

Post by in-a-mess-indeed » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:18 am
Hi Andrewf, I sent claims to every creditor included and not included within our IVA myself using a standard form i got from the net for both myself and my wife, a little time consuming in the evenings but knowing it could increase our dividend and or mean claims would be less due of offset was our main aim, claims were received at just over £30K over a few years and all helped us being able to end a little earlier too. The response times are not great in some cases and some also refused but still ongoing. I did not mind doing it and felt like a dog with a bone with some. The claims companies can do the same thing of course although i do hear/see claims from some of them that they can do more so i cant comment if that's the case. The only thing it cost me was time, paper, ink and stamps, all (except the time) were agreeable from my IP that could be claimed back so we were not out of pocket using up funds from another allowance.
Took The plunge and made the call, changed our family life and we have never been happier. Debt free and wont go back..... IVA was by far the best thing we ever did to teach us the real value of Family and money

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:09 am
The only difference is that, if you do it yourself, you have to work from memory as to who you borrowed what from, with reference numbers. The claims companies, so they say, can search back 35 years ( I would love to know where they search) and get these details.

A plus to the DIY approach, other than the creditors getting more (or, more to the point, the claims company getting nothing) is that you know what gets refunded from whom.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

andrewf

Post by andrewf » Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:30 pm
Thanks guys, for your help.

Until now, after doing some research, I never understood the scale of PPI claims. I had always hung up the phone. I guessed a couple of hundred maybe a thousand at the most. I now understand the majority of cases are talking about many thousands...

Virtually all PPI claim companies charge a lot less than 39%, but as Michael and Foggy rightly say, redress to reduce the outstanding balance of an outstanding debt is typically something the claims company wants a % from.

However, 39% of a potentially large sum of money could quiet easily reduce the term of my IVA. I have the templates, time, desire and willpower, what else do I need?

Only time will tell, but i think if you have the lenders name and your address at the approximate time the PPI was miss sold, it is now a lot easier to obtain account information and make a claim than it used to be (so i have read) costs a few quid to get the account information and then you're in business.

I will let you guys know of my progress, BUT if you have any tit bits of advice, feel free...

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:31 am
It will only reduce the term of your IVA if you are able to pay back 100% of your debts plus fees and statutory interest, otherwise it just means that you will carry on either until the end of the IVA or you hit that magical figure.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk
11 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”