Secure Trust closing current accounts

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
22 posts Page 2 of 2

watzki

Post by watzki » Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:37 pm
I'm with nat west and they know I'm in an iva and it hasn't been an issue
Today 1st of December 2016 the vultures finally flew away

MerlinL14

Post by MerlinL14 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:13 pm
font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:<hr height="1" noshade>Originally posted by skint til payday

Hi MelinL14

I was just wondering.. was Barclays one of your creditors previously and perhaps you've gone back to them?

as I was thinking of doing just that!

please let us all know.
Barclays were not one of my creditors. I chose them as I wanted a high street account rather than paying £12.50 for the Secure Trust account. They (Barclays) were the only one's who gave me so much as the time of day. I initially applied online, got an email saying I wasn't able to have a current account due to my IVA, but they will offer me their Basic account. Within weeks of my IVA last payment they upgraded me to a full 'proper' current account. A year odd on, I have a great banking relationship. I have a Platinum Barclay card with low APR, has been used once and paid back in full within 7 days! Scared stiff of it to be honest...
Last Payment made 04/12/14. Completion Certificate 25/7/15. IVA company GT. No Issues

size5

Industry Expert

Post by size5 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:02 am
Whilst a basic free account should be readily available to everyone (depending on whether or not you have, or had, debts with them) and of course carry no cost, the reality is that a lot of people still find it very difficult to access them.

Secure Trust seem to have done a fine job, albeit at a cost, but their withdrawal leaves less consumer choice. A similar account is still available for those that wish to have a look at it, which is the I-Count. I'm not an expert on it, but I do believe that the fees are cheaper, accounts are available instantly, usual facilities including direct debits and online cashback are available and it also comes with a credit builder facility, which of course may interest some. I would re-iterate that there is no reason why free accounts with High St banks should be unavailable, but if they are then this does look like a credible alternative.

Regards.
Last edited by size5 on Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cert DR
23+ years in debt advice
I do not post for anyone other than myself

Follow my tweets at http://twitter.com/debtmastersize5

Adam Davies

Post by Adam Davies » Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:36 pm
Hi

I can vouch for the Iccount

http://icount.co.uk/

It is headed up by Sam Mond, David's son [Cleardedbt], who I have met on a number of occasions

These accounts are useful because you never find yourself with extra unexpected charges and are open to all. A good way forward if you are looking to enter into an IVA or DMP

It also offers a business account, it can often be near impossible to open a fresh business account with the main banks once you credit rating has slumped

Regards
Andam Davies

lifenoteasy

Post by lifenoteasy » Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:53 pm
These types of accounts can be a god send but I would say look at the online reviews and what customer experience is.

I know nothing about icount (and the following should not be taken as a negative comment about them) but I can name 2 companies with similar models where the negative reviews are linked to suspending payments into accounts and taking a significant time to release the funds, closing accounts arbitrarily, long delays in speaking to anyone etc.

A Ffree account may also be an option which has a visa debit card.

If your income and expenditure patterns are straightforward 9 times out of 10 they should work for you.

Also with the switch in focus from claim companies from PPI to any form of paid for bank account I imagine that played a factor in any decision by Secure Trust.

IVA companies and the reclaim companies as their representatives will need to accept that certain charges are legitimate and cannot be a target.

If you can get a basic account from a mainstream bank do so - there are at least 11 banks running one.
IVA started March 2011, Completed March 2016 and certificate issued 11 days after final payment. It was not always easy but then some of the best decisions aren't.

ginger323232

Post by ginger323232 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:09 pm
There is also an increasing number of Credit Unions offering the Visa Debit Card as part of the account.Any funds in these account is also protected. Some Unions charge a small fee for the account.

Adam Davies

Post by Adam Davies » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:01 pm
Hi

Sam Mond has contacted me to say

To coincide with Secure Trust Bank exiting the market and to lower the barriers for entry, icount are (from tomorrow until 30th September) refunding the £4.95 application fee to anyone that applies for a Monthly tariff account and loads a minimum of £20 within 30 days

They are also going mobile friendly soon

Regards
Andam Davies
22 posts Page 2 of 2
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”