Pension Rule Changes

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
12 posts Page 1 of 1

North East Derbyshire CAB

Post by North East Derbyshire CAB » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:26 pm
Hi all

It has been a while since we last posted

Pension rule changes - CAB link below

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/n ... nsions.htm

A point of worthy discussion and potentially of importance as far as debt advice and insolvency solutions are concerned we would suggest.

Access to lump sums and increase in incomes for those who are in a position to take pensions early

We are already getting enquiries

What are the implications or opportunities even for anyone considering taking advantage of the pension rule changes?

Serious area and subject maybe?

We thought we would raise and put this issue to the forum members for discussion and input

Paul

NED-CAB
Last edited by North East Derbyshire CAB on Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mole

Post by mole » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:41 pm
This was touched upon recently in this forum. Someone who reached 65 and hence had access to his pension suggested he may want to defer taking the pension until after the IVA was completed. (There was nothing specific in his personal proposal about what should happen at this time).

I seem to recall the professionals on here said this was a releasable asset and therefore should be realised for the benefit of the IVA. I would assume they would take the same stance under the new legislation for people turning 55.

However, as there is likely nothing in current proposals, I imagine the same inconstant and dis-organised approach across IPs as with PPI. Heaven forbid, IVAs being keep open until for people approaching 55 so the pensions can be drained.

Expect something being written into future 2015 protocol !
Last edited by mole on Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UpToMyNeckInIt

Post by UpToMyNeckInIt » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:11 am
The cynic in me has to agree with mole.

IVA customers in their mid 50's onwards should perhaps start to make discreet enquiries regarding how to 'protect' their pensions, because you can bet you were not told that your pension would be at risk when the IVA was sold to you.

I'm sure it won't be long before we start to see enquiries on this and other forums, along the lines of 'My IVA firm wants to take my pension'.

Hopefully I am wrong, but would be interesting to read what the experts here have to say on the subject.
My opinions are just that: Based on my experience and being a self-employed IVA customer.

Adam Davies

Post by Adam Davies » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:28 am
Hi

Interesting subject

Creditors may feel that if the whole pension pot can be taken then why not use it to repay debt ? Not a good idea as retirement will be a struggle but I can't see creditors letting the availability of a lump sum go by

Regards
Andam Davies

sponge

Post by sponge » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:35 pm
My concern is we are talking recovery of unsecured debt, to that end the IVA as was a valuable debt solution. It does appear that it's fast becoming an all grabbing solution PPI, sale of asset or threat or BR, secured loans and possible pension pots, then what use will an IVA be. To my mind the IP's role then becomes the chef at the carvery and we're the meat!

Post by North East Derbyshire CAB » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:26 pm
Hi

Thank you all for the replies

A news article in the Telegraph that gives figures on the potential scale of all this:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/pers ... sions.html

It is hard to see how the pension rule changes will not become a serious debate & issue including where debt advice / insolvency options & solutions are concerned

People need to be made very aware

Paul

NED-CAB
Last edited by North East Derbyshire CAB on Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sponge

Post by sponge » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:33 pm
Pension pots can be quite sizable even on a return of a modest income. As you can see from the article the interesting bit is the 25% tax free lump.

There must be a business there just waiting to be had, where it's used to dissolve the debt(I had in mind 65% or better return to the creditors) for a one off fixed fee. Job done..creditors get a quick sizable return, on the condition that insolvency is avoided. Any takers?

Post by North East Derbyshire CAB » Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:06 pm
Hi

Its been a while

I thought this was worth putting up

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/undr ... t-advisors

Paul

NED-CAB
Last edited by North East Derbyshire CAB on Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

size5

Industry Expert

Post by size5 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:05 pm
The main problem may well turn out to be that very few debt advisors will be able to help in this area, as this is regulated advice.

Regards.
Cert DR
23+ years in debt advice
I do not post for anyone other than myself

Follow my tweets at http://twitter.com/debtmastersize5

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:49 am
We will be introducing changes to all our proposals and excluding pensions. Provided creditors are happy this should make things a bit simpler.
Michael Peoples | McCambridge Duffy Insolvency Practitioners
http://www.mccambridgeduffy.com
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com

Post by North East Derbyshire CAB » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:24 am
Hi

Cheers for the replies

Sections 3 & 4 in the link look interesting

It got us thinking a touch yesterday

I was wondering what both your thoughts were on these

Paul

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:29 am
Michael, when my proposal was drawn up pension proceeds were specifically excluded and no mention was made by the the creditors.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014
12 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”