Made last payment to Freeman Jones. Is it safe to relax and enjoy being debt free ?

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
12 posts Page 1 of 1

Gemma.cw

Post by Gemma.cw » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:24 pm
I made my last IVA payment to Freeman Jones on 30th September and have just spoken to my relationship manager who told me it has been referred for closure today. There is no outstanding monies due and no equity in my property. I've been told the closure process will take upto 4 months and there is nothing else to do on my part except wait!!
Has anybody experienced any problems at this stage that I should brace myself for or is it safe to relax and enjoy being debt free? Also is 4 months a realistic timescale for closure?

luluj

Forum Expert

Post by luluj » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:37 pm
Well done on completing your iva. From experience I would ask for confirmation of no more payments in writing and permission to cancel your standing order or direct debit.
I would also urge a little bit of caution until you receive your certificate ..you may still be under the restrictions of your iva and may have to declare any windfalls etc you may get. Your credit file will not repair itself until the 6th anniversary of the start date. I would personally use this time to reflect on lessons learnt and to consolidate your newly founded budgeting skills ....whilst enjoying a treat or two using what was your monthly iva payment !
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt

There is a solution for everyone .... Just need to stay positive !

Look at my blog "All I wanted was a baby"

Dougie

Post by Dougie » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:50 pm
I'm in a similar place, F&F accepted yesterday and letter received confirming that the lump sum plus monies paid to date is the end of my commitment to the IVA (other than a PPI investigation of course)

It's a bit odd as whilst you are so glad to have finished paying, until you formally receive the completion it is still there lurking in the background.
IVA Accepted - Sep 2009
F&F Accepted - Oct 2014
CC Received - Jul 2015

welshwiz

Post by welshwiz » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:22 pm
I did f&f with Freeman Jones. It only took 14 days from date payment cleared to getting certificate

luluj

Forum Expert

Post by luluj » Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:56 am
Fingers crossed they will act quickly on closure process.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt

There is a solution for everyone .... Just need to stay positive !

Look at my blog "All I wanted was a baby"

Shining

Post by Shining » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:56 am
Well done on completion and hoping that all important certificate won't be long before it's in your hands.
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

Gemma.cw

Post by Gemma.cw » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:30 pm
Welshwiz, when did your IVA complete?

welshwiz

Post by welshwiz » Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:54 pm
Hi Gemma

F&F payment cleared June 2nd this year completion certificate received 14 June

wiggle1

Post by wiggle1 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:15 pm
We used Freeman Jones and everything was fine until after the last payment when suddenly they said there was outstanding monies due. A few phone calls later and with help from Sarah Jolly it was sorted out and we received our cc three weeks later. Congratulations on finishing and enjoy your debt free life.
Life after IVA is wonderful.

Gemma.cw

Post by Gemma.cw » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:57 am
Thanks Wiggle - that is mainly what I'm worried about!
Has anybody had any other problems after last payment that i can prepare myself for?

TzeKin

Post by TzeKin » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:30 pm
You come out of the Iva...the debt 'hunger games'...and victorious at that.You can certainly grin like a Cheshire cat...
The c.certificate is your prize to reset your credit file, removing those nasty lending restrictions that made people live at 'minimum subsidance'No holidays or comfy goods....etc'

Start spending and enjoy fruits of life with your spare iva cash.

These days finishing an Iva is harder than before.5 years is long time and doubt anyone having done one could do it again!
It wouldn't sink in though till a while like coming off long term med'

seagulls

Post by seagulls » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:28 pm
Then there is the wait for your name to come off the insolvency register ...I had a F & F in July . My CC arrived in September .Now I am just waiting for my name to come off the register .
12 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”