Completion certificate is not worth the paper it is printed on

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
15 posts Page 1 of 1

Emma.78

Post by Emma.78 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:17 pm
I was origionally with mdc, had a completion ceftificicate 13/09/2012. Then in July 2013 it was passed to Grant Thornton where different clauses were put in to cover ppi. But apparently even though I received a completion certificate it's not worth the paper it's printed on. GT aren't very helpful, quite rude!

lifenoteasy

Post by lifenoteasy » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:26 pm
If you are referring to papers sent out by Slater Hayward and you have a CC it is unlikely that you have to sign.

Even if you acknowledge that you should sign state at the end that you do not give permission to be contacted by any other firms in the future.

It is not clear how they can enforce this.
IVA started March 2011, Completed March 2016 and certificate issued 11 days after final payment. It was not always easy but then some of the best decisions aren't.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:28 pm
Hi Emma,

The completion letter confirms that you have discharged your IVA so it is worth something as it means you are off the Insolvency Register and after six years it will disappear from your credit record.

A lot of companies are now pursuing PPI claims but you are now debt free.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

Lisa Thomas

Industry Expert

Post by Lisa Thomas » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:00 pm
Hi Emma. You don't need to liaise with GT. You have completed your IVA - that's what the CC means. However the PPI is something that will have survived your IVA and it will be this that GT are dealing with.
I'm a licensed IP with 16+ yrs at Neville & Co covering the South West area. I have a YouTube channel with advisory videos on here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMPTTu ... Z5k9ZcC2MA http://www.nevilleco.co.uk 01752 786800 Lisa@nevilleco.co.uk

Emma.78

Post by Emma.78 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:25 pm
Thanks for the replys. So even though the iva was completed in June 2012, a cc issued in September 2012, in July 2013 a new clause can be put in to cover ppi? This is to do with ppi which I had in 2000 wasn't part of the iva but as it was prior then they have an interest. I'd rather give it to charity than give it to a company that done nothing in my iva and are so rude that I won't speak to them.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:29 pm
As stated - you probably don't have to sign. If PPI is found though the chances are that it will go to your creditors and not to you.
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:32 pm
I am afraid that the PPI is currently regarded as an asset which should be released for the benefit of creditors or former creditors.

There is a court ruling, currently under appeal, which could change that in a number of cases, which basically says that PPI not dealt with prior to the issue of the CC is no longer of interest to IP or creditors.

GT are rushing to get former clients tied into an agreement to give them the rights to the PPI before the court ruling, in case it isn't in their favour.

Personally I would mention long run and short plank to them in the same sentence. Not sure, but I would think there is very little they could do about it and, they are themselves at fault ( if there is any) by not dealing with it at the time.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

Shining

Post by Shining » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:35 pm
I think it's terrible that after a CC is issued they are still free to hassle you in effect. To me a CC should mean it's all done and dusted. Unless you've agreed previously for the CC to be issued but the PPI to be investigated.
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

longslog101

Post by longslog101 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:36 pm
long run short plank in the same sentence, brilliant. :))

Just put the paperwork in the same box in the attic Emma with a printout of his discussion so if you ever refer back you can remind yourself why you didn't sign and return the paperwork, I wouldn't even bother sending them anything back.
My Blog details, the route I took before IVA, how I choose my firm, equity release advice (year 4-5), challenging the CRA's keeping IVA on credit file once gone from insolvency register

IVA ended August 2015. Would recommend McCambridge Duffy

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:19 pm
I never had to agree to it, but it was on hubby's letter that they would chase it. Nothing so far though and I didn't think there would be.
Bob Marley.

Adam Davies

Post by Adam Davies » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:23 pm
Hi

If you have your completion certificate and are off the insolvency register then you do not have to reply/comply if you do not want to

Regards
Andam Davies

zee

Post by zee » Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:29 am
Very useful info for some of us waiting for CC.
Yet another reason to keep the paperwork

Emma.78

Post by Emma.78 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:48 am
Yes definetely! I received copies of the new clauses last week as no ppi was in my origional. Conveiniant that they had written in there "if there is no contact within 14 days we assume you agree to these term" I never origionally received this document, as if I'd agree to new terms considering my iva cc was issued 6 months previous. Terrible customer service.

Shining

Post by Shining » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:30 am
I agree totally with you in respect of the customer service. All too often we're reading of threats to fail an IVA if you don't agree etc.,
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

Adam Davies

Post by Adam Davies » Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:22 pm
Hi

If you are off the insolvency register and have your completion certificate then you do not have to comply

Regards
Andam Davies
15 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”