What should I do first?

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
13 posts Page 1 of 1

MissBrightside

Post by MissBrightside » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:26 pm
Hi, I took a deep breath and made the call to enquire about an iVA today and immediately feel so much better. I've been burying my head in the sand for too long.

I would like to say a huge thank you to all who post on here as whilst I have been thinking about starting this journey, this forum has been invaluable to build up my knowledge. I've just completed an initial I&E ready for a conversation tomorrow.

Does anyone have any top tips of what I should do in the immediate future before I fully start this journey?
Can we climb this mountain? I know we can make it if we take it slow.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:58 pm
If your bank is one of your creditors ( or any of its Group members) you will need to open a new account elsewhere and it will be easier to do before a sniff of an IVA gets out. Avoid HSBC and First Direct as they close accounts of customers in an IVA.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

MissBrightside

Post by MissBrightside » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:01 pm
Thank you

Grayson.sc

Post by Grayson.sc » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:20 pm
If you haven't already done so, talk to several companies before deciding which one to go with. This was the best advice I received before starting the journey. Good luck and well done for starting.

plasticdaft

Forum Expert

Post by plasticdaft » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:01 pm
Yup shop around. Not all iva companies are the same. Be comfortable in your choice of firm to set the iva up, you have to work with them for a good few years.

Be realistic with your I and e, dont fudge figures just to make it look like the iva is the best option.

Paul
Discharged today the 8th feb 2012. View is much brighter now.
Continuing to rebuild our credit worthiness.

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:18 am
Make sure that any offer is affordable as this is key. Even if the payments are substantially reduced from what you currently pay ensure you can meet these as five years is a long time.

You should also ask as many questions as you need to and do not agree to anything you do not understand. Any firm will know that the whole procedure is scary for new clients and even confusing and will be happy to take time to explain everything.
Michael Peoples | McCambridge Duffy Insolvency Practitioners
http://www.mccambridgeduffy.com
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com

MissBrightside

Post by MissBrightside » Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:47 pm
Thank you everyone for your advice to my post. I've spent today talking to so many people, but have come decided on the IVA Company and the ball is now rolling. Strangely the worse thing that I have done today is try and open a basic bank account. Gone from feeling relieved when speaking to the IP to feeling sick and nervous again. However, I now have a bank account open, despite them wanting me to upgrade my account and even think about a mortgage and insurances!

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:56 pm
They always try to upsell when you ask for a basic account ( they make more money from the packaged accounts).

Might I ask who you have settled on ?
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.

relieved33

Post by relieved33 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:57 pm
Well done on getting things going. Once our budget was set we stopped paying creditors and set aside the payment amount we were to be making. This gave us an idea of what to expect. Decision to go ahead to acceptance was a couple of months and when creditors called, we just gave them Cleardebt's details.

Good luck!

MissBrightside

Post by MissBrightside » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:30 pm
Hi Foggy, I've decided to go with Melanie Giles team. I just felt at home talking to her and her team and feel I can work with them on this long journey.

Thank you again everyone for the advice on this board

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:35 pm
You have an excellent team working for you -- a very good choice.

relieved33

Post by relieved33 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:49 pm
From every comment about Melanie that I have read over the past five and a half years, I am sure you will be fine. Unlike some IPs that I have read about, common sense appears to enter in to the agreement!

steppingstones

Post by steppingstones » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:10 pm
Melanie and her team are one of the best.
13 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”