Mortgage Discount

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
14 posts Page 1 of 1

hubert

Post by hubert » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:46 am
Hi,

A month after my last review, my mortgage company offered a discounted rate to me, out of the blue, for 2 years.

This saved over £100 per month so I was well chuffed.

I've assumed I don't need to do anything until my next review when it'll come up and I guess my IVA contribution will increase to take 50% of it.

Would you agree?
One pay-cheque away from oblivion!

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:17 am
I see what you are saying and you have a point. However if your mortgage rate went up by £100 you would immediately contact the IP looking for a reduction so if the mortgage comes down I think you should inform the IP.

It probably depends on your own proposal but telling your IP would at least keep you right.
Last edited by Michael Peoples on Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Peoples | McCambridge Duffy Insolvency Practitioners
http://www.mccambridgeduffy.com
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com

plasticdaft

Forum Expert

Post by plasticdaft » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:43 am
I certainly wouldnt wait to inform my IP of £100 extra surplus. If you spend it now and they decide they want a slice its a lot to find.

Let them know,its keeps you right but make sure you get either an email response or something in writing (never rely on anything said on the telephone).

Paul
Discharged today the 8th feb 2012. View is much brighter now.
Continuing to rebuild our credit worthiness.

harrysmummy78

Post by harrysmummy78 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:48 am
We have had a few instances where our surplus has increased mid year pay rises & child tax credits, I always advised Mel's team straight away and was told I could keep increases and would be dealt with at next review, I think it is always better to cover your back though.
Inter-locking IVA approved 25th Feb 2013 - F&F offer Accepted 06th July 2017 - Completion Certificate received 20th July 2017

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:27 am
I would always tell my IP everything regarding my finances, even when they did not want to know, and I am sure they thought I was a pain at times. However, it saved any nasty surprises for me and the IP could do whatever they wished with the information overload.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

Adam Davies

Post by Adam Davies » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:30 am
Hi

It will all depend on how your IVA is drafted so do contact your IP and make them aware. Hopefully they will wait until your next review before making any changes to your payments

Regards
Andam Davies

hubert

Post by hubert » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:48 pm
Just Spoke to them, that are sending out a new I&E form to me, then will decide what (if any) changes are needed.

Worse case I have to pay 50% of the new surplus in of course.

I'll keep you posted how they handle it and the outcome.

You're all right about it. Telling them was the right thing to do I'm sure.

I love this forum :)

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:14 pm
At least when rates do increase you can ask for a reduction down to the previous level if there is any uplift to be had. This would not require a variation unless the payments were reduced below the original amount.
Michael Peoples | McCambridge Duffy Insolvency Practitioners
http://www.mccambridgeduffy.com
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com

hubert

Post by hubert » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:10 pm
True but this whole thing has stressed me out and made me feel on edge again.

Thought I was past that :(

Worried that they will try to back date or something else nasty.
Though if they did backdate it I'm only looking at £110 so not exactly that scary.

It's the something else nasty, the unknown... I'm sure we've all felt it and continue to do so from time to time but I'm feeling it for real today despite my logical mind.

MikeyM

Post by MikeyM » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:30 pm
I have just submitted my details for second review but have also informed them that I have managed to secure a further lower fixed rate interest deal starting Feb 2015 from my mortgage supplier This will reduce my payments by £45 a month. I will wait to see what transpires.

hubert

Post by hubert » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:46 pm
font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:<hr height="1" noshade>Originally posted by MikeyM

I have just submitted my details for second review but have also informed them that I have managed to secure a further lower fixed rate interest deal starting Feb 2015 from my mortgage supplier This will reduce my payments by £45 a month. I will wait to see what transpires.
It'll be interesting to see what comes of it. Is that with CreditFix?

In my case I have to give 50% of any new surplus found at review time into the arrangement. So it's always worth seeking out these deals.

Shining

Post by Shining » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:49 pm
A fresh income and expenditure form is fine and you can then offset some of the surplus into the ever rising costs of utility and housekeeping/fuel charges. So along with putting what you're saving on the mortgage you can increase your expenditure accordingly if this has in fact increased.
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

luluj

Forum Expert

Post by luluj » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:30 pm
Lesley makes a good point here ... ensure your I&E reflects your true expenditure
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt

There is a solution for everyone .... Just need to stay positive !

Look at my blog "All I wanted was a baby"

MikeyM

Post by MikeyM » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:20 pm
font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:<hr height="1" noshade>Originally posted by hubert
font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:<hr height="1" noshade>Originally posted by MikeyM

It'll be interesting to see what comes of it. Is that with CreditFix?

In my case I have to give 50% of any new surplus found at review time into the arrangement. So it's always worth seeking out these deals.

No. I'm with PJG
14 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”