New IVA

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
16 posts Page 1 of 2

clanger

Post by clanger » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:40 am
After spending many months in a very dark world of debut.....even to the point of thinking it would be easier to take my own life to allow life insurance to take the debut away, I was given the advise to go for an IVA..this was completed last week and starts on the 1st March 2015.........not sure what how it will go, but I will look at it as a last loan to get rid of the mess I was in.
The only confusing thing for me was the part about the equity in my house which may or may not be used to paysome of the debut....I know one thing the payments are affordable and I can look forward to seeing my 4 year old grow up and the dark thoughts can go away for good

Shining

Post by Shining » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:43 am
Hi you sound like you're in a much better place now and do take it one month at a time. Coming out the other side of an IVA is a great achievement and you will get there. If you're ever feeling alone or down again do come to the forum we're always here to not only offer advice we can just listen when needed. Good luck with your IVA and I sincerely hope it runs smooth for you.
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

clanger

Post by clanger » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:48 am
Thanks Lesley, looking at the IVA payments It will take the pressure away from trying to find the money to get the bills paid and I hope it runs smoothly

Shining

Post by Shining » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:50 am
IVA is an excellent resource to rid you of your debt whilst giving your creditors the best possible return without the pressure of creditor contact.

when I was in my IVA I have to admit to feeling better off with allowances for this and that.
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:05 pm
Hi. Well done of facing the demons and getting sorted.

At the end, regarding equity, it will depend upon which wording you have. Normally it is a case of remortgaging (or at least trying to) to free up some of the equity, if there is any. At the moment, and things do change in the mortgage market, remortgaging is impossible and then a 12 month extension is added on instead. Some do take secured loans ... but that is rare currently.

You have 4 years to let the IVA settle in and get your head around equity -- but don't leave it until the last minute. Any questions, just ask :-)
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:48 pm
It is not good that you are still confused about something this important. Speak to the IP and ask for it to be explained again.
Michael Peoples | McCambridge Duffy Insolvency Practitioners
http://www.mccambridgeduffy.com
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com

Shining

Post by Shining » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:38 pm
Agree with Michael wholly.

luluj

Forum Expert

Post by luluj » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:51 pm
Great to hear everything has panned put and your iva is approved. Please keep looking into the forum as we can help support you throughout your journey. One huge step forward on becoming debt ..well done !
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt

There is a solution for everyone .... Just need to stay positive !

Look at my blog "All I wanted was a baby"

clanger

Post by clanger » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:54 pm
it was me just not looking and taking it in,I understand it now and realise that it was pretty clear all from the start but I was looking at it with a clear mind.....all done now and off we go on the road to debt free life
Last edited by clanger on Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

El Presidio

Post by El Presidio » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:32 pm
Good luck with it. My creditors meeting is on the 4th March. So we should complete ours at a similar time!

It takes seconds to create debt and a lifetime to pay it off, this should hopefully be a structured and helpful road to recovery.

clanger

Post by clanger » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:54 pm
lets hope all goes well for you El Presidio, it's a huge relief to get the monthly payments under one Direct Debit and not having to panic and try to find the money from some where or someone
Yes we should be completing around the same time at the end of a long road

luluj

Forum Expert

Post by luluj » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:58 pm
Make sure you set aside something small to give yourselves a treat - after living on a tight budget to grt through the iva you will probably find treating yourself not particularly easy but its important you do - it takes skill and courage to get through an iva and you have done it with pride !

clanger

Post by clanger » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:02 pm
just a night out once a month to the pictures would be nice......we have family for baby sitting duties FGFT......just knuckle down and be realistic

luluj

Forum Expert

Post by luluj » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:09 pm
Quality time together doesn't have to cost the earth ... great you have family around for support.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:17 pm
If and when you get overtime put your half into a separate account or jar, so it doesn't get swallowed up in the normal household bills, and treat yourself from this ( as well as building up a small rainy day, or blown up boiler, fund ).
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014
16 posts Page 1 of 2
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”