Old IVA paperwork

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
16 posts Page 1 of 2

Christabelle_sparkle

Post by Christabelle_sparkle » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:03 pm
Is it OK to securely dispose of all old paperwork to do with the IVA now we have our completion certificate?

I mean like old reviews etc.....
An IVA is a long hard road but valuable lessons have been learnt along the way. Now looking forward to enjoying a debt free future!

MrsR

Post by MrsR » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:05 pm
Hi Christabelle,

That's your choice entirely.

In my house we have every bit of paperwork from pre iva and when it was getting set up, till we completed. All in the loft with the exception of the certificate of completion.
Started IVA 27th Feb 2012 - Due to complete 27th Jan 2018 !!

Full & Final submitted and accepted 30th March 2015, paid 10th April 2015 - 3 yrs 1 month into IVA :)

Completion Certificate received- 30th April 2015!!

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:17 pm
Same as Mrs R, mine is all in a box and will stay there. If I wanted to weed it out I would definitely keep the proposal, chairman's report, annual review reports and completion certificate, along with anything which needed the IP's agreement ( variations, breaks, reduced payments, etc.).
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

Christabelle_sparkle

Post by Christabelle_sparkle » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:20 pm
Glad I asked now......I was just about to burn it all!!
Did not think I needed it now.
An IVA is a long hard road but valuable lessons have been learnt along the way. Now looking forward to enjoying a debt free future!

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:51 pm
I will be keeping mine for a long time just in case.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

Christabelle_sparkle

Post by Christabelle_sparkle » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:23 pm
Thanks all, we will keep all what we have now too! So glad I asked. I was honestly just about to burn it all in the garden as did not think we needed any of it now we have the completion certificate.

luluj

Forum Expert

Post by luluj » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:31 pm
Ours is safely filed along with completion cert in loft .. no way would I get rid of it ..if nothing else it acts as a reminder of what we went through and is a big motivator to ensure we live within our means

There is a solution for everyone .... Just need to stay positive !

Look at my blog "All I wanted was a baby"

Christabelle_sparkle

Post by Christabelle_sparkle » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:49 pm
Yes very true luluj, I had not looked at it that way. Was just looking at from the angle that it is in the past. Maybe we should remind ourselves from time to time to ensure we never make the same mistakes again?, having said that after living in an IVA for 5.5 years I don't think anyone would ever wanna go through it again......once is definitely enough.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:08 pm
I will never get rid of ours - just in case!
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.

Lisa Thomas

Industry Expert

Post by Lisa Thomas » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:18 pm
Best to keep it I'm afraid.
I'm a licensed IP with 16+ yrs at Neville & Co covering the South West area. I have a YouTube channel with advisory videos on here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMPTTu ... Z5k9ZcC2MA http://www.nevilleco.co.uk 01752 786800 Lisa@nevilleco.co.uk

MerlinL14

Post by MerlinL14 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:51 pm
My loft is the custodian of every piece of paperwork from the begging to the end of my IVA, less for my CC which is in a fireproof safe and a copy is in my Work security locker. I have no intention of getting rid of anything.
Last Payment made 04/12/14. Completion Certificate 25/7/15. IVA company GT. No Issues

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:54 pm
I'm with you there Merlin!
Bob Marley.

Shining

Post by Shining » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:57 pm
I've got all mine for the time being, not sure how long I'll keep it. It's locked away in my safe but wouldn't want anyone else finding it so I know I won't keep it forever and hopefully dispose of it in due course but for a while it stays.
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

SFA

Post by SFA » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:31 pm
Lisa, as an IP you are suggesting that when we finish our IVA and have our certificate in hand, we should keep all the corresponding paperwork.
Why is that please ? Has there been comeback by creditors chasing previous debtors and with only a completion certificate to offer as evidence, they are still being chased ?
I can't think why I'd want any reminder of this sorry episode in my life save for the certificate.
SFA

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:40 am
Some people have had creditors chasing them afterwards and even though you have that all important piece of paper, your IP could come back with something and if you have things in writing it helps to back it up, especially PPI claims.

Ours is filed away in our filing cabinet and that is where it will stay.
Bob Marley.
16 posts Page 1 of 2
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”