Grant Thornton Completion

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
32 posts Page 1 of 3

Chrisd0345

Post by Chrisd0345 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:37 pm
Hey there people!
I'm having troubles understanding something regarding my completion. Hoping someone could explain to me what it actually means, as the lady I spoke to at Grant Thornton wouldn't explain.

My IVA completed in July 2015, this was after an additional 12 Months due to a failure on Re-Mortgage in 2014 when the term was due to finish. I initially contacted GT to see what happens and how long it would take to finalise the account and issue certificate of completion. I was told the process, and that it could take up to 3 months before I would receive completion paperwork, this was no surprise to me as I've read similar from other IVA members, but I thought id keep in touch monthly to make sure things were moving as swiftly as they could be. When I contacted them again 2 weeks ago, I was told that there was a delay regarding the account, and that "Some of you're creditors have increased their claims"! She wouldn't really explain what this means, but from what I understand it sounds like some creditors want to claim back more money than what was originally set out in the IVA. How can this happen at this stage, or what else could it mean? They have assured me that it doesn't result in any extra cost to myself.

Thanks in advance

Chris [:)]
*GT/Aperture Last Payment-01/07/2015
*GT/Aperture Account Closed-13/01/2016
*GT/Aperture Completion Cert-21/01/2016

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:02 pm
It does seem odd that creditors would try and amend their claims at this late stage. Dividends would have already beed paid out so not really sure what GT means. You will probably have to go back to them for clarification.
Michael Peoples | McCambridge Duffy Insolvency Practitioners
http://www.mccambridgeduffy.com
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com

hwima

Post by hwima » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:08 pm
I find Grant Thornton/Aperture poor at communicating with customers. I stopped calling because I never got satisfactory answers so I've resorted to emails. It takes about 2 weeks to get a response.
*IVA started Sept 2010
*Last Payment Taken August 2015
*Completion Certificate Issued November 2015

longslog101

Post by longslog101 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:13 am
just make a formal complaint, if you search the forum for GT complaints procedure it should come up. I doesn't matter if someone has increased their claims or not, they had to confirm what they were owed many years ago, it should not be your problem.
My Blog details, the route I took before IVA, how I choose my firm, equity release advice (year 4-5), challenging the CRA's keeping IVA on credit file once gone from insolvency register

IVA ended August 2015. Would recommend McCambridge Duffy

Lisa Thomas

Industry Expert

Post by Lisa Thomas » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:12 am
When you say your IVA completed do you mean a final dividend was paid by GT or just that you made your last payment then? If a final dividend has been declared properly and paid this seems very strange to me. Suggest you send them a written request for an explanation as to the delay and estimated completion date.
I'm a licensed IP with 16+ yrs at Neville & Co covering the South West area. I have a YouTube channel with advisory videos on here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMPTTu ... Z5k9ZcC2MA http://www.nevilleco.co.uk 01752 786800 Lisa@nevilleco.co.uk

Chrisd0345

Post by Chrisd0345 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:13 am
Thanks everyone for you're responses. Looks like I will have to investigate further...
My final payment was paid in July Lisa, so it's just a case of finalizing things before they finish the account. Just seemed a bit daft to me to have to make alterations at this stage. Especially when they don't make it clear what the issue actually is..

Chris

Lisa Thomas

Industry Expert

Post by Lisa Thomas » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:20 am
According to many other posts on this forum GT have been known to take 6 months to close IVAs, which is not reasonable in my opinion. Ask them in writing for an explanation and if its not satisfactory then follow their complaints procedure.
I'm a licensed IP with 16+ yrs at Neville & Co covering the South West area. I have a YouTube channel with advisory videos on here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMPTTu ... Z5k9ZcC2MA http://www.nevilleco.co.uk 01752 786800 Lisa@nevilleco.co.uk

Chrisd0345

Post by Chrisd0345 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:06 pm
Thankyou Lisa
I have emailed them this morning, so will see what they come back with.

Chris.

Lisa Thomas

Industry Expert

Post by Lisa Thomas » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:13 pm
Good luck and keep us posted Chris. I would print and post your email too so there can be no argument they received it.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:00 pm
Good luck - hope that letter comes through soon.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

Chrisd0345

Post by Chrisd0345 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:33 pm
Hi Guys!
Right, after waiting 16 days for a response to the email I sent to Grant Thornton (Or Aperture...what ever there calling themselves this lately)I've decided to call them as I got sick of waiting. Eventually got put through to a pleasant Gentleman who explained things to me a little more, which was a better experience to what I've received from the previous call handlers, but that's another story!

I've been informed that a Creditors meeting has been put into place for the 14th December. The reason for the meeting is the Creditors are claiming that there is more owing to them than was initially disclosed!! Hence them "Increasing their claims" He said that this has been a common trend with a lot of IVAs that were transferred from Blair Endersby. He said there was nothing for me to worry about as a majority of creditors meetings finish without them being able to increase claims. I did then ask what if the Creditors don't agree? He said if that's the case then they will be in touch with me to discuss further payments!!
How the hell can this happen at this stage! I've paid what I've been asked to pay for 6 years, and kept everything up to date within the terms on my side of the contract, for them to move the goalposts? This just seems very unfair. I hope someone can shed some light on the situation, as im now lost. I know they have said nothing should come of it, and just need to wait until the 14th for the outcome, but that doesn't really help me now.
So in a nutshell, I've completed my payments in July, still no closer to the end, and my Mortgage has been flogged to a Subprime Lender with silly interest rates. The way I feel at the minute, I felt more comfortable IN the IVA than I do now as nothing is going right! At least I knew where I stood with it all :(

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:57 pm
I am not sure how claims can be increased at this late stage but GT/Aperture must have their reasons for having to call this meeting. Hopefully creditors will be happy and at least if you get a positive decision it will be this side of Christmas. Very best of luck.
Michael Peoples | McCambridge Duffy Insolvency Practitioners
http://www.mccambridgeduffy.com
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com

longslog101

Post by longslog101 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:30 pm
Chris,

Surely your chairmans reports at the beginning of he IVA details all the submitted debts that were your debts ? So for them to say they have been increased is not on unless they have proof - surely ?

I would suggest that you really need to see which creditor is trying to claim more than the debts you provided proof of.

It simply sounds like someone has bought a debt of someone and now they are adding their charge son top to try and divi the pie up more in their favour or indeed someone somewhere is increasing their charges upon the transfer of the IVA to GT which requires a creditors meeting to agree the increase.

Either way I would personally be requesting in writing the specifics of the variation which is being called and who is claiming more than your submitted IVA and agreed IVA.

You cant have the terms of your IVA altered without your say so as far as I understand (so long as all your submitted debts were accurate) ? and them calling a meeting on YOUR iva without you having a clue seems outside of the norm as far as Im concerned, Why no drop the head of risk and quality a line to ask her to explain precisely in detail what is going on and ask for a written explanation.
My Blog details, the route I took before IVA, how I choose my firm, equity release advice (year 4-5), challenging the CRA's keeping IVA on credit file once gone from insolvency register

IVA ended August 2015. Would recommend McCambridge Duffy

Lisa Thomas

Industry Expert

Post by Lisa Thomas » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:57 pm
The only reason I can think of this is if your proposals or modifications promised a minimum dividend, which now might not happen because the claims have increased. This seems very strange to me. In any event you should have been advised in writing about the variation and send details of it. Personally I would write to them and ask for a written explanation following that phonecall. It doesn't sound like it was explained very well to you.

Chrisd0345

Post by Chrisd0345 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:33 pm
Thanks guys.
It all does seem very odd, but getting a straight answer from GT regarding the issue is like pulling teeth. To Date, I've still not received a response to my initial email, only the confirmation of receiving it. I've had my reviews every 6 months, with letters back stating that its all going well, and I need not change my payments etc, GT very confident that the IVA will complete etc etc, to then get this! Its ludicrous to hit a stumbling block like this when completion is (Or Was!) around the corner.

One thing I did notice while looking through my paperwork the other night, There was a debt collection letter for British Gas in amongst it all for a debt of £55. However the claim on my particulars back in the day was for over £600!! Im sure they make things up as they go along sometimes....
Last edited by Chrisd0345 on Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
32 posts Page 1 of 3
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”