Variation settlement rejected. Can anyone help please ?

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
18 posts Page 1 of 2

Neil.w

Post by Neil.w » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:55 pm
I am in a IVA with £10,270.00 Arrears & £1,055.00
due.I recently proposed a variation of £60,000.00 Settlement on the £120,000.00 that I owe with the proceeds of the sale of my house & it has been rejected,can anyone help please.

Shining

Post by Shining » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:33 pm
Hi and welcome to the forum. Has your IP given a reason for the rejection of your full and final offer. Can they offer any case specific advice?

hang in there others may be along soon to offer their advice.
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:44 am
You have not given the reasons for the rejection or who rejected. If it was HMRC for example and you have outstanding returns or post IVA debts they will normally reject. Can you post more details.
Michael Peoples | McCambridge Duffy Insolvency Practitioners
http://www.mccambridgeduffy.com
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com

Neil.w

Post by Neil.w » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:49 am
Hi & thank you for your replies, Hmrc did not reject but RBS & HBOS did stating the debtor is able to retain funds to clear mortgage arrears & put a deposit on rented accommodation. All remaining funds to be introduced. It was 63% for &37% against.
I found the IP to be not very helpful & maybe this is because of the IVA arrears, do I have any possible ways of avoiding bankruptcy?

lou3

Post by lou3 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:30 am
unfortunately the creditors will usually vote for what gets them the most money and if they can see there is money due in anyway under your terms and conditions and your I&E shows you can afford to keep paying also they are unlikely to accept a full and final of less than 100%.
The creditors understandably want as much of their money back as possible, and both creditors and IP are less inclined to be sympathetic to someone with large amounts of arrears.
I don't understand why you now think you will go bankrupt? As the variation meeting was rejected but they did not specify to petition for bankruptcy you are still able to continue with the IVA.
Is the 60,000 the total available from the house sale after clearing mortgage and putting a deposit on a rented property? If there is more available they may accept a higher offer.

Neil.w

Post by Neil.w » Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:13 am
Hi ,the Ip has verbally stated that I cannot now ask the creditors to consider another offer & I have to settle the arrears within 14 days from the sept 3rd.There is a £130,000.00 equity in the house but after splitting up from my wife because of my financial position I need somewhere for myself & 2 daughters to live plus I have another tax bill to pay.
I have a buyer ready to go but it looks like it's all going to fall through & they will force me to go bankrupt & lose everything.

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:14 am
The variation meeting can be adjourned and hopefully your IP has done this and is fighting your corner. However,it sounds though like the variation was actually approved with modifications so were you asking to retain more from the sale proceeds than needed to clear the arrears and relocate? If so what did you ask to keep the extra cash for?
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com

TzeKin

Post by TzeKin » Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:42 pm
Useful lesson here is aways make your best best offer at variation meetings.One that they cannot refuse! More money would have brought more votes.

Banks are in it on the long long haul to get their monies back.So to offer less but pay now might not be a powerful incentive anymore to them.

Need to look at creditors make up before making any offer...but they are difficulty to sus out.
Last edited by TzeKin on Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lou3

Post by lou3 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:50 pm
unfortunately it does seem as though your options now are to agree to the revised terms, pay the equity that is due into the arrangement and continue with the IVA, or go bankrupt, in which case yes you will lose all the money, and the official receiver can also specify up to three years attachment of earnings order - and their budgets are a lot stricter than IVA budgets.

Neil.w

Post by Neil.w » Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:11 am
I asked to have enough money to pay a tax bill & help to relocate myself & my daughters.

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:17 pm
That seems a reasonable request and I am surprised it was rejected. Hopefully your IP is still fighting your case and creditors change their minds.

Neil.w

Post by Neil.w » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:51 pm
I've not been on the forum for a few days as I have been waiting for a reply from my IP as I have asked my options so not to go bankrupt but it seems that I have 2 options which they have given me.
1.the equity of my house which is £125,000.00 will be received into my variation & I will have to continue paying my arrears & fees.
2.I can use the equity for a full & final payment.

My variation was £1055.00 a month over 5 years I'm in the third year I feel utter despair & the contact I have from my IP is basic & not very helpful ,business has started to pick up slowly but after coming out of the recession very battered & bruised I feel now I can't get a place with my daughters & will have to probably go bankrupt over the tax bill.
If there is any advise out there please I'm all ears.

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:48 am
I assume creditors have demanded the entire proceeds from the sale and would accept that as full and final. However, I fail to see why they will not allow relocation monies or leave you enough to pay the tax bill.

Your estranged wife may also have a claim against the equity if she is not caught by the IVA so she should possibly consider independent legal advice.

If the business has now picked up perhaps a variation to extend the arrangement to address the arrears might be an option. The equity in the property could then be dealt with in the normal way depending on the terms of your IVA. This would need the consent of HMRC as you would have to agree a time to pay arrangement with them but it has been done.

I cannot see how bankruptcy benefits anyone and am genuinely surprised that this has not been resolved. If the IVA is now failed as a result of the rejected variation you could propose a new one based on the sale proceeds but the new IP would need to see the paperwork so he/she could canvass creditors in advance.

Neil.w

Post by Neil.w » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:11 pm
Hi,
I emailed my IP on Tuesday morning just after 9 to ask if there was any other option & also asking if ,if I did propose that the entire equity be offered as a full & final settlement would that take me out of the IVA & I still have not had a reply .
I just don't think they are fighting my corner & leaving me in a desperate situation.

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:18 am
If they fail the IVA you can resubmit another offering a one off but it would be better if your IP sorted this out now.
18 posts Page 1 of 2
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”