Rejected By Co-Operative

22 posts Page 1 of 2

blackczerny

Post by blackczerny » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:51 pm
I applied for the Cashminder account and even sent a copy of my Certificate of Due Completion to them but they wrote back saying, 'sorry love,' (an obvious paraphrase....)

Why? If they'll accept applications from bankrupts and people still in IVAs, why wouldn't they accept mine?

The only thing I can think of is I filed a bank charges claim against them - along with thousands of others, I'm sure - as I banked with Smile pre-IVA. Could that be why?

Or is it worth making a direct application at a branch?

I'm just sick of not having a debit card; am with Nationwide at the moment and they steadfastly refuse to give me one...

Cheers

BC

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:57 pm
Are you on the electoral register? I know the Co-op will refuse applications if you're not.

blackczerny

Post by blackczerny » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:06 pm
Yeah, I get a card through to vote in elections.....they recently voted to approve my F+F and everything! I just can't see where this unsupportive attitude is coming from

Jan01

Post by Jan01 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:08 pm
Hi

I also wonder about banks and why some people can get accounts and other can't. We had to change ours this year and the only bank that would offer us an account was hsbc but on reading on this forum they are on e of banks people do not recommend as they are not sympathetic to people in an IVA or bankruptcy.

I would advise going into the branch and explain to a person your situation.

Jan
Nothing you can buy feels as good as not being in debt.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:18 pm
It does annoy me that banks won't give you a debit card, after all, if there is no money in the account, the card will be rejected.

It's not as though we're asking for credit is it?
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

blackczerny

Post by blackczerny » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:21 pm
I've just tried applying for a Natwest Step account and they immediately declined me as there's apparently 'bankruptcy' information registered in my name! What?! I've never been made bankrupt! What should I do now? I'm getting really confused and upset

Jan01

Post by Jan01 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:23 pm
And life would be so much easier with a debit card. I asked at HSBC if there was any way I could draw out more than £200 a day (to pay the car bill) and i was told no that basic accounts do not have counter service, I felt 2nd class. And as you say Kallis if the money not in the account the card will be rejected. I am not asking for overdraft or any credit just an easier life but sorry I am in debt so that can't happen--silly me.

Jan

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:24 pm
Perhaps the best thing to do is as Jan says, and try and apply at a branch. It will be easier face to face to explain things rather than do it online. You can't argue with a computer!
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:25 pm
That's disgusting Jan that they won't let you draw out over the counter.

I can do that with Nationwide, or use a cash machine.
Bob Marley.

Jan01

Post by Jan01 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:40 pm
I can draw out £200 form an HSBC cash machine or a post office not always convenient as PO's shut during an evening and in a town near me The HSBC cash machine is inside the Bank!! a great help when you need cash. Also if over weekend the cash machine isn't working at HSBC you can't get money from anywhere else. I am going to look around for another account that is a little more flexible. But as they were the only bank that would let us open an account we went for them.

Jan

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:43 pm
Wonder why you can't get cash from anywhere else? That's just plain stupid. Never did like HSBC though - they were one of my main creditors and were a pain to deal with.

With my account, I can withdraw from any cash point.
Bob Marley.

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:44 pm
Are you a former debtor of the Coop Bank? You seem to suggest this is the case by posting that they recently accepted your full and final settlement? If this is the case, then it may be your financial history which is hampering your application.
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

blackczerny

Post by blackczerny » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:57 pm
Yes, they were one of my creditors, but does that preclude them from giving me an account and if so, why? Surely the fact that they agreed to my F+F to assist me out of legalised debt should work in my favour? I'm sure that everyone's financial history is hampering their applications in some way; I'm just looking to clarify which bit.....

BC

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:03 pm
Because they probably just have some form of internal ruling which blacklists you - strange thought that might seem! Why not give them a call and ask them - and then you can share that information with the rest of the forum.
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

Jan01

Post by Jan01 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:53 pm
Hi BC
When were trying to open a new account a the beginning of the year Nat West turned us down because of bankruptcy when I questioned this they said IVA and bankruptcy are classed as the same thing!!

Jan
22 posts Page 1 of 2
Return to “bank accounts and credit cards”