I have been reading posts on the forum,

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
21 posts Page 1 of 2

roberto

Post by roberto » Thu May 14, 2009 9:58 pm
I have been reading posts on the forum, and I am very tempted to apply for an IVA. I am so full of fear its unbelievable. How can I be sure that I am applying to a legitimate IP?
Are some IP`s better than others? How do I decide?
I wanna see the sunshine after the rain, I wanna see bluebirds flying over the mountains again...

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Thu May 14, 2009 10:01 pm
Hi there Roberto and welcome to the forum

Don't be fearful of dealing with your debts. Help is just a phone call or e-mail away, and you can check out the reputations of all insolvency practitioners on www.iva.com.

As a practising IP, I cannot really comment as to whether some IPs are better than others - but other posters will probably give you some more direct feedback on that.

How much do you owe to creditors, and how much could you afford to pay back on a regular monthly basis?
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Thu May 14, 2009 10:05 pm
The IPs who post on this forum are all highly recommended and you can find their details in the experts section at the side of the page.

Julie

Post by Julie » Thu May 14, 2009 10:40 pm
Hi Roberto -once you have taken advice and now the direction you need to go in with your debts, the fear will be replaced with relief.

Check out the link Melanie posted, but if you want my advice, contact Melanie or David who post on here. You'll notice from other posts how many successful Iva's they are responsible for. Also the support they give as IP's is second to none.

You have nothing to lose by contacting either of them ( or both).

Good luck xx

mickyboy

Post by mickyboy » Thu May 14, 2009 10:52 pm
I believe Melanie & david run in the region of about 98% acceptance for the IVA they propose. I used Cleardebt and cannott speak highly enough of them. Going by the reviews on here, Melanies company would also be very good. However, at the end of the day it is down you and who you feel comfortable with. Speak to both of them. The advice they offer can be invaluable.
Yes the first steps are fearful, but you have taken the first one by writing on here. Once you make contact with your prefered IP, the relief you will feel is immense. Even just getting the IP to take your details and your situation made me feel better.
Good Luck & keep us posted.
Mickyboy
On the road to debt free life

David Mond

Post by David Mond » Fri May 15, 2009 6:30 am
roberto wrote:

I have been reading posts on the forum, and I am very tempted to apply for an IVA. I am so full of fear its unbelievable. How can I be sure that I am applying to a legitimate IP?
Are some IP`s better than others? How do I decide?
Actually all IP's are legitimate as they are subject to stringent regulatory rules and inspections. However as in any profession some are better than others and some are leaders in their chosen field.

You need to have a chat with an IP and give him/her details of all your personal and financial circumstances and particulars.

Visit www.iva.com for reviews on firms and practitioners and select one or two to have a chat with.

They will give you the appropriate advice and it is free.

Remember you want to feel comfortable with the IP and his/her firm as you will have a 5 year ride with them. Don't worry they don't bite and are there to give you help and solace.

Let us know who you choose. Good luck.
Regards, David Mond, Insolvency Practitioner for over 46 years. Personal Insolvency Practitioner of the year 2012, Personal Insolvency Practitioner of the year finalist 2013 & 2014 awarded by Insolvency & Rescue Magazine and 2015 finalist for Personal Insolvency Firm of the Year.

roberto

Post by roberto » Fri May 15, 2009 5:06 pm
Wow, thanks for all of that advice! I feel amongst friends already. I contacted an IP today, (Melanie),[?] and I had a return call probably within the hour. I have set up a meeting via the phone for Monday afternoon, as I am on nightshift over the weekend. I just hope that something can be done.[?]
I wanna see the sunshine after the rain, I wanna see bluebirds flying over the mountains again...

mole

Post by mole » Fri May 15, 2009 5:11 pm
Hi Roberto the fact that you have stated you are working a night shift suggests you are in steady employment and hence an IVA could be appropriate for you. Please use this forum for any questions and I'm sure you will feel even more relieved after your meeting on monday.
I found this forum at the end of March and today have had my proposal accepted. I can now restart my life. Good luck

freelili

Post by freelili » Fri May 15, 2009 5:37 pm
Hi

I just wanted to say its a very scary time when you realise youre in that place and need some help to get out of it. It can be a rollercoaster ride but with every day that passes you will feel tons better once youre on your way. There will be times when you hit low points but never will you feel as desperate as you do or did before the phone call.

Youre amongst freinds on the forum who will understand every step of the way so keep posting.

Good luck now.

Good luck now
LILY

http://freelili.blogs.iva.co.uk

I asked God for an answer, I have to live with his reply.
Exsisto an angelus quod planto quispiam sentio melior.

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Fri May 15, 2009 9:17 pm
Hi Roberto

We will look forward to speaking to you on Monday, and hopefully we will find the right solution to fit your circumstances.
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

ivas4us

Post by ivas4us » Fri May 15, 2009 9:19 pm
you will be in good hands with Melanie.
IVA.co.uk The best place for debt advice. Thanks to Melanie Giles, David Mond, David and J (Elv5) Kallis, Dand, Skippy, Andy Davie

roberto

Post by roberto » Sat May 16, 2009 1:40 pm
Thank you again to everyone. I feel better every time that I log on to the forum. I look forward to Monday`s meeting, and will let everyone know how it turns out.

Thanks again for your time and kind thoughts,

Bob

roberto

Post by roberto » Thu May 21, 2015 6:37 pm
Well
looking back on my early posts on the Forum brings it all back. I definitely was in a dark place.
Yesterday I received my Certificate of due Completion !
I cannot thank Melanie and her team enough for all the help and guidance received.
If I had to describe my time in the IVA in a single word it would have to be an "education".
I have learnt to respect my cash, its worth and its fragility.
Good luck to all.
Thank you.

relieved33

Post by relieved33 » Thu May 21, 2015 6:49 pm
Congrats! I love looking back on my blog posts and feeling proud!

Enjoy your debt free future!

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Thu May 21, 2015 6:57 pm
Well done Roberto --- the debt free life now begins :-)
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014
21 posts Page 1 of 2
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”