Hi my friend is on debt management and I'm worried about her.

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
6 posts Page 1 of 1

George.sn

Post by George.sn » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:46 pm
Hi my friend is on debt management and pays roughly £60 a month to them. She has no job and just claims child benefit and tax credits and when started the debt management was on these. She has recently had another baby and so in effect gets double the money now. Will she have to pay double on debt management now. She seems to think no but im sure they must review each yr like an IVA does? Also do creditors stop interest on debt management as I thought they are advised to but don't have to so in effect if you think your debt will finish in say 5 yrs it may not because of the interest added? Just worried about her as we have just finished IVA so know whats it like etc etc

Adam Davies

Post by Adam Davies » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:45 am
Hi and welcome

Your friend will dictate how much she pays into the DMP

Which company is she with ?

Regards
Andam Davies

Shining

Post by Shining » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:05 am
Hi, as Andy rightly advises a DMP is more flexible. However, you're right in saying that although some creditors do stop interest others don't and it could be the debt can sometimes grow. It won't necessarily finish in 5 years, some posters on here would have been a very long time in their DMP had they not changed route to the IVA.
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:20 am
Hi. Do you know the level of debt involved here ? With the sort of income you have mentioned, if your friend has no assets and the debt is under £15,000 a DRO might be worth looking at, subject to her meeting the criteria.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:15 pm
Unless the debts are quite low £60 will be getting her nowhere especially if the firm is deducting a fee. She should speak to an IP firm as there may be better options for her.
Michael Peoples | McCambridge Duffy Insolvency Practitioners
http://www.mccambridgeduffy.com
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:30 am
How much does she actually owe to her creditors George?
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner
6 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”