Can I pay towards my unemployed husband's household costs and mortgage ?

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
3 posts Page 1 of 1

Laurad8047

Post by Laurad8047 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:48 pm
Hi There,

I am in the 2nd year of an IVA and have just got married. My husband is unemployed as it's difficult for him to find work that fits around our daughters (who is two) school days / hours. My husband has a mortgage with his dad and we live in the property. Each month I put a set amount of cash into his bank to cover these household costs and the mortgage. My question is could my IVA company take acception to me paying my husbands bills when I'm not named on them? We have no joint accounts or debts together.

I'm concerned because I don't want my husband to be liable for my debt from a previous dissolved marriage and end up worse off because of me?

Your advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

kazzafunk

Post by kazzafunk » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:04 pm
Hi there - all changes in circumstances should be notified to your IP - so you need to advise that you are married and living in his property.

It is reasonable to expect you to pay something towards the housekeeping / bills. Whether your IP would accept you paying all of it is another matter.

You really need to discuss this sooner rather than later so it can be worked out.
Kazza

Please visit my blog:
http://kazzafunk.blogs.iva.co.uk/

IVA completed 21/03/2012

martinw

Post by martinw » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:10 pm
I suspect The IP will want to see you paying a fair share, there is bound to some discretion

A lot will depend on the income of the other occupants (including benefits, including those they could claim for but don't). I think it'd be easier if your new outgoings are less than before rather than more (if they are you maybe asked for backpay)

Martin
3 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”