After an IVA

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
7 posts Page 1 of 1

althas

Post by althas » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:59 pm
As I am aproaching the end of my IVA, a few questions have been sloshing around in my brain I can not work through

I understand things like PPI claims will be included in the IVA after it's conclusion, and the monies will need to be paid over (Thankfully this will not be an issue for me, I never took out PPI on anything)

But what of things like windfalls, inheritance. Is there a time limit on these things and having to declare them to my IP? Or is it a case, as long as they were not known about or instigated whilst in the IVA, then there is no requirement to disclose?

I do not have anything like this on the horizon, I am just a bit of a worry wart and like to know the rules so I do not break them
Last edited by althas on Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There are 10 kinds of people that understand binary, those that do and those that don't

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:10 pm
You are right about the timing. Once the IVA is over any assets are yours and do not need to be disclosed. However, if for example you received an inheritance post IVA due to a death that happened during the IVA this could be an asset of the IVA even though you knew nothing about it until the IVA was over.

I hope this makes sense.
Michael Peoples | McCambridge Duffy Insolvency Practitioners
http://www.mccambridgeduffy.com
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:13 pm
Hi. Basically, any windfall, inheritance, lottery win, or the like you become entitled to ( even if not paid out at the time) before the issue of your certificate of completion is issued are liable to be paid into the IVA (even it they pay out after this time).

Now, due to the length of time between your final payment and that certificate being issued being somewhat longer than liked due to PPI complications, many, but not all, IP's will overlook such things provided you have fulfilled your obligations under the terms of the IVA.

A few IP's will still grab every penny they are able to, especially those, it seems, who have a really long delay ( for whatever reason) in issuing that certificate.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

althas

Post by althas » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:24 pm
Thanks, that was the kind of thing I was thinking

Another thing ticked off the list to do before it's over. Kind of an IVA Bucket List *smiles*
There are 10 kinds of people that understand binary, those that do and those that don't

seagulls

Post by seagulls » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:53 pm
Foggy ..what is the expected time frame for the issue of a Completion Certificate after the final payment is made ?

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:01 pm
Hi Seagulls. Most proposals cater to an "up to" 6 month period (with options to extend if required). As we have seen, a few firms manage this process within weeks, whereas a couple take years!

Even those firms that are on the ball can experience delays beyond their control when dealing with creditors and a lot will depend upon how they are dealing with the PPI investigations.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

seagulls

Post by seagulls » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:56 pm
Thanks for that Foggy
7 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”