My ex-partner has an IVA. Would it stop him selling jointly owned house with no equity ?

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
6 posts Page 1 of 1

Sarah.m

Post by Sarah.m » Tue May 20, 2014 9:56 am
Hello,

My ex partner has an IVA and our home we own together has no equity. He claims that we can not sell the house as his IVA will not allow. I am happy to sell the house at a loss, would an IVA stop him selling the house if there is no equity anyway? Many thanks

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Tue May 20, 2014 10:07 am
Hi Sarah and welcome to the forum

The IVA does not prevent you from selling the property, but if there is a shortfall following the sale then this debt will have to be included into his IVA, and you will also be responsible for repaying that debt.

Your ex-partner will need to keep his IP informed of the intention to sell. If there is a shortfall would you be able to cover this?
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

Sarah.m

Post by Sarah.m » Tue May 20, 2014 10:15 am
Hello,

Well due to a recent business failure I am looking at the route of bankruptcy. If I was to proceed with this before sorting the house would this automatically release me from the mortgage? I am in a bit of a pickle and stuck in limbo! I don't really want to go down the bankruptcy line, but if we sell the house at a loss I certainly wont be able to pay off the outstanding amounts. Thanks for your time :)

Adam Davies

Post by Adam Davies » Tue May 20, 2014 10:36 am
Hi and welcome

Your secured mortgage against the house would remain under bankruptcy unless the house is sold or repossessed.

Regards
Andam Davies

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Tue May 20, 2014 2:08 pm
If the property is returned and you are bankrupt the shortfall would be included within the bankruptcy. According to our legal advice this would be the case even if the property was returned after the bankruptcy was over as the shortfall would revert back into the original bankruptcy.

I wonder if anyone agrees or disagrees with this?
Michael Peoples | McCambridge Duffy Insolvency Practitioners
http://www.mccambridgeduffy.com
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com

Adam Davies

Post by Adam Davies » Tue May 20, 2014 6:00 pm
Hi

This is also my understanding Michael

Regards
Andam Davies
6 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”