Awarded PIP backdated to Sept 2013. I need this money as my disability has got worse.

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
3 posts Page 1 of 1

Daviddv99

Post by Daviddv99 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:17 pm
I have been awarded PIP backdated to Sept 2013 and £4500 has been paid into my bank acount,also I will be paid £108 a week on top of my ESA payment.As my disability has got worse I need this money for such things as a mobility scooter and other things relating to my disability which were not budgeted for when doing the original IVA budget .will I be able to keep some of this money or will it be taken by the IVA the date of the IVA was june 2014 it has taken the DWP all this time to sort out my PIP claim so most of the£4500 should have been paid before the IVA started.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:23 pm
You will need to run this past your IP, but my understanding is that PIP is paid specifically to help with extra costs associated with your disability and should be used as such.

Yes, it has to be declared as income, but then the amount should be offset in expenses as relevant expenditure.

However, as with many things of late, the answer does depend upon the views of your IP.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

luluj

Forum Expert

Post by luluj » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:29 am
Hopefully your IP will consider this in your favour and some or all of the backdated will be yours to support you in making your life easier to cope with.
As foggy says it should be shown as income but also expenditure to support your everyday life activities
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt

There is a solution for everyone .... Just need to stay positive !

Look at my blog "All I wanted was a baby"
3 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”