How do I make a complaint as to why GT are taking so long to issue completion certificate ?

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
11 posts Page 1 of 1

Jamesd1251

Post by Jamesd1251 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:31 pm
I have finished making payments to my iva 8 months ago and have not heard anything from grant thornton in writing nor from the telephone operators as to why im not being kept informed to why its taking so long to receive my completion certificate. can you advise me on how to proceed in making a complaint and where i stand please.

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:39 pm
Each firm will have their own complaints procedure which should be easily found on their website. You will need to go through their internal process first so hopefully the threat of a complaint will get you the answers you need.
Michael Peoples | McCambridge Duffy Insolvency Practitioners
http://www.mccambridgeduffy.com
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:53 pm
Hi James -- 8 months is not an unusual time lapse between final payment and issue of certificate.

GT's complaints procedure used to be ( haven't look lately) notoriously difficult to fine, but they posted this advice some time ago:

From earlier posts, this is the GT complaints procedure (if it gets as far as complaining to the Regulatory Body (IPA, in this case)the complaint will be against the IP ( who is the member) not the company (who is not):

1 If a client expresses unhappiness with the service provided by this firm, then in the first instance the concerns will be dealt with by the manager responsible for the area that gave rise to the complaint and you will receive a formal response in that regard within one month of the date of this letter. Should we require additional time to investigate the matter, you will of course be advised accordingly.

2 If the matter cannot be resolved by the relevant manager, you can then direct your complaint to my designated senior member of staff Mr Paul Madden at Grant Thornton, Waters Edge, Clarendon Dock, Belfast, BT1 3BH.

3 If you continue to be dissatisfied with my firm's response to your complaint, you can then write to Ms Fiona Beighton - the Head of Quality & Risk Management who deals with any complaints arising from the firm's recovery department - at Grant Thornton UK LLP, 30 Finsbury Square, London, EC2P 2YU.

In the unlikely event that my firm is unable to resolve your complaint you can then complain to my regulatory body – the Insolvency Practitioners Association.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

Jamesd1251

Post by Jamesd1251 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:10 pm
Thank you for your fast replies, much appreciated. The reason is im trying to build my credit score to apply for a mortgage, but GT haven't even told me that the completion certificate has been processed yet. I can see this dragging on til next year

iamfubb2

Post by iamfubb2 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:54 pm
font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:<hr height="1" noshade>Originally posted by Jamesd1251

Thank you for your fast replies, much appreciated. The reason is im trying to build my credit score to apply for a mortgage, but GT haven't even told me that the completion certificate has been processed yet. I can see this dragging on til next year
GT are well known for this, and anyone telling you different is not being totally upfront with you. Keep pestering them "daily" you will get there. After all you have stuck to your part of the bargain, why can't they? Don't be fobbed off with lame excuses. Big Multi- nationals, even GT have to play by the rules eventually! :)

Sharon.10

Post by Sharon.10 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:30 pm
Hi jamesd1251 i was in the same situation as you i had no contact for a year from grant Thornton when i finished paying my iva i had to contact them myself a year later 3 times and send an email to them i was given 6 months wait then they gave me 3 months wait for my cc because my case of the delays my case hadn't gone to closured yet i decided to contact the Ipa and because i contacted them i got it in November last year my complaint is still on going even though i received my certificate i have to persevere with it as i believe it was wrong i had to wait so long and no communication from gt for a year.
Last payment made August 2012 Certificate of Completion recieved 15th of Novenber 2013.

Sharon.10

Post by Sharon.10 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:35 pm
I believe because i made a complaint to the Ipa in october last year I got my completion certificate quicker within a month of complaining to the Ipa.
Last payment made August 2012 Certificate of Completion recieved 15th of Novenber 2013.

carole2662

Post by carole2662 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:35 am
I was with another company and I started ringing weekly to get a report on where my completion cert was. Eventually 10 months after our F&F the cert arrived. Just ring all the time and make them realise you aren't going away until you get the certificate.

leighxx

Post by leighxx » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:35 am
I made my last payment to GT in October, and heard nothing from them, finally I rang them in January to see why I hadn't heard anything and they told me it had failed due to me owing money (which I didn't) from when B&E ran it. They did another review and then a week later told it had passed and was being sent to closures. I then heard nothing back so have emailed closures twice since then, last week was told would take 4-6 weeks to complete (I wont hold my breath). Sometimes it seems it's he who shouts loudest, although you shouldn't have to chase them, unfortunately you do have to.
Last payment October 2013
CC received 21/08/2014

mrportman

Post by mrportman » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:30 pm
I've just started a similar complaint with GT. The usual - waited 10 months for my sertificate then chased. Chased at 13 months. Told it ewas a six month wait "by law" and nothing could be done about it - so I've complained. I got a prompt acknowledgement and a promise that they would reply within a week of my complaint (due tomorrow). Not sure I believe them but I found it useful to quote the IPA's guidance at them., which is IVA certificates should be issued "promptly". I will complain to the regulator if I don't get a swift and satisfactory response, and if necessary take civil action.

Jamesd1251

Post by Jamesd1251 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:17 pm
Hi, thanks for all the replies, just an update to the lies im now being told by Grant Thornton.First i sent out 2 emails, one to my iva practitioner and one to the iva closures dept, both with an auto response when the emails were read. The next day i receive a phone call from Grant Thornton saying my completion certificate would be with me within 10 days (that was the 22nd July). So today no sign of certificate, i ring G.T. and go through security and the adviser says that there is a back log in closing IVA's and yours will be soon, so i stop her in her tracks and said im waiting for my closure certificate which was to be with me within 10 days. Im then told that the closures are dealt with a separate company, so my IVA hasnt been closed and there is no certificate. Any suggestions ? i hope someone from G.T is reading this !
11 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”