Will my IVA affect joint bank account ? I do not want my husband to know

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
8 posts Page 1 of 1

Emma.r

Post by Emma.r » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:28 pm
If I have a joint account with my husband that has no credit attached to it but both haves debit card each will me having an IVA affect that bank account as I do not want my husband to know?

mole

Post by mole » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:32 pm
If there is no overdraft facility on the account and the bank is not linked in anyway to your creditors, you should be ok. Some banks however can be anti-IVA and may request you move it. Who are you with Emma?

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:40 pm
With a joint account your IVA could show up on his credit searches as you are financially associated. His credit rating will also be adversely affected.

Some banks also cancel accounts when they discover an account holder has an IVA -- which bank are you with and do you have any loans with this bank ( credits cards etc.)?

Do you own your home or rent ?
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

mole

Post by mole » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:49 pm
Emma, however difficult it feels, I think the best option is to tell your partner. I had to do this when I started my IVA. It was not easy, in fact it was the hardest thing I had ever done. However, you will get over it together and will likely need support throughout the process. Also you will not be on edge for 5 years that he finds out

llamedos

Post by llamedos » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:07 pm
I agree with Mole - 5 years is a long time to keep something like this to yourself. I'm sure if you sit him down and talk it through he will be supportive - it can be embarrassing to admit to having got into trouble but once it is in the open, you will feel much better: a problem shared is a problem halved and all that.

Good luck and best wishes.
The end is in sight - months not years!

Looking forward to a brighter future for my children!

plasticdaft

Forum Expert

Post by plasticdaft » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:14 pm
I would be absolutely gutted if my partner attempted to conceal such a major thing from me. It would be pretty difficult to hide the iva for 5 years without something slipping out. Plus its a situation which is hard at times and the support of a loved one is a real bonus.

Paul
Discharged today the 8th feb 2012. View is much brighter now.
Continuing to rebuild our credit worthiness.

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:07 pm
Are you a property owner, Emma?
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

country girl

Post by country girl » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:58 pm
My husband did not release the extent of my debts and like Mole said when I had to tell him it is the hardest thing I have ever done. I had to tell him anyway as his income had to be included in the IVA. It is very difficult at the time and he was very upset to put it mildly but we did get through it and now at least I do not have any secrets anymore.
8 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”