My deceased husband stopped paying our joint IVA without my knowledge.

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
3 posts Page 1 of 1

Helen.10

Post by Helen.10 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:53 am
I entered into a joint IVA 24/11/2006. My husband dealt with all the administration of the IVA or at least that's what I he led me to believe and I have emails from him supporting this. My husband died 3/5/14. It turns out my husband lied about alot of things and I have since found out that he stopped paying the IVA in 08/10............I have no idea how this IVA has seemingly slipped through the system but I received a letter after my husbands death asking for us to both sign forms for PPI to be reclaimed. I called Grant Thornton straight away to find out what was going on and have since found out the above. At the beginning of June 2014, they started proceedings to fail the IVA. I have asked to make a full and final settlement of the IVA on 4th June 2014 in writing when I sent them a copy of my late husbands death certificate. I have received the certificate back but I have received no further communication from GT.............Where do I stand and what are my rights? I have 2 children (11&3) I have recently had my working contract reduced to zero hours so have no confirmed salary going forward.

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:59 am
I am sorry to hear about the loss of your husband and this is undoubtedly more worry than you need. You need to discuss this with GT as the death of your husband will have implications across the board depending on what estate there was, life policies, property etc. It may be that creditors will agree to close the IVAs with payments made to date so it is vital that you speak to someone senior in GT as soon as possible.
Michael Peoples | McCambridge Duffy Insolvency Practitioners
http://www.mccambridgeduffy.com
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com

luluj

Forum Expert

Post by luluj » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:02 pm
I am so sorry to hear your news and of your situation. As Michael says you need to speak to your IP direct, not a caseworker, so that you can agree and fully understand where you are with things and what needs to be done.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt

There is a solution for everyone .... Just need to stay positive !

Look at my blog "All I wanted was a baby"
3 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”