Can I apply for an IVA while unemployed studying with partner covering monthly payments ?

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
3 posts Page 1 of 1

Katiedh70

Post by Katiedh70 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:32 pm
I am currently unemployed and I will be starting a full time course in September to better my financial situation. The course is for 10 months. My partner is working full time and he is the person that pays off my debt also on top of his own debt alongside rent etc. He is earning £16,000 per annum and is struggling to meet everything. We have applied for help through a credit union but they state our monthly income is not enough to cover the repayments. No one will help us or we are offered silly interest rates which would put us in a worse situation than we are at present. In total my own debt equates to £7500 owing to three creditors (Two credit cards and a separate creditor). The overall debt for me and my partner is £10,000. My partner is struggling to pay my creditors and his on top. Can I apply for an IVA under my name whilst I am unemployed and can my partner cover the monthly repayments? Do you think I would be better taking another route?

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:47 pm
Hi, subject to meetimng other conditions a DRO might be the way forward.

Have a look here:

https://www.gov.uk/options-for-paying-o ... ief-orders
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:59 am
I agree that a DRO may be appropriate but if you fear the long term consequences and have the ability to earn well after the course debt management based on token payments may also be an option.
Michael Peoples | McCambridge Duffy Insolvency Practitioners
http://www.mccambridgeduffy.com
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com
3 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”