Hypothetical question

4 posts Page 1 of 1

tarasue

Post by tarasue » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:07 pm
I having paid into to an IVA for nearly 4 years now and have currently about £6k left to pay, I will probably have to go into a 6th year as I a have equity, however if I stop paying after 5 years and avoid creditors for a year does this clear the remaining debt as a debt only last 6 years? This is a hypothetical question by the way I was just curious!

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:19 pm
Basically, No. A debt will last for as long as it remains unpaid.

A debt becomes "statute barred" if it is not acknowledged for 6 years. This means it cannot be enforced but still exists. Whilst the IVA runs it has been acknowledged, so the 6 years will start from when you allow the IVA to fail.

Failure of the IVA will result in your creditors adding back all unpaid interest and late payment charges over the last 5 years and, basically, flush everything you have already paid down the toilet.

They will then be able to pursue you by any means they think fit. Ignoring them will not make the problem go away. They have your current address so can serve notices or send court collectors, as well as securing loans against your property.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

tarasue

Post by tarasue » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:31 pm
Thanks Foggy, was just curious,won't be too long now anyway and will be a weight lifted! x

luluj

Forum Expert

Post by luluj » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:02 pm
Even if a further 12 months is payable ...look back at how far you have come and the money you have saved in interest alone.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt

There is a solution for everyone .... Just need to stay positive !

Look at my blog "All I wanted was a baby"
4 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “friends corner”