I have been accepted on a NHS funded university course. What effect will this have on IVA?

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
9 posts Page 1 of 1

Lesley.01

Post by Lesley.01 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:41 pm
Hi, We have just been accepted on to an IVA and made our first payment this month (August 2014) I have just found out that I have been accepted on to an NHS funded University course and will therefore receive a monthly bursary from September 2014. I will receive approximately £1400 per month, of which approximately £1000 of this is childcare (I have 2 young children that will require full time nursery placements. This will therefore leave me with around £400 extra per month. My question is, how much of this will the creditors be able to take and will they take in to account that I need to buy books, uniform, placement shoes, train fare etc? Obviously I am willing to pay extra in to the IVA, I am just worried that they will take the majority of it. The money is given to me by the NHS as I will be working shifts and studying full time, therefore I will need some money to be able to help me to fund this. I would be grateful for any advice! Thank you.

kazzafunk

Post by kazzafunk » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:36 pm
Congratulations Lesley.

I would write down all the outgoings to show to your IP and creditors what you need to pay out.

I would say as long as you are not 'taking the p' (!) they will accept this.
Kazza

Please visit my blog:
http://kazzafunk.blogs.iva.co.uk/

IVA completed 21/03/2012

Lesley.01

Post by Lesley.01 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:19 am
Thank you for your response Kazza, my outgoings are likely to be different month to month, as some months I will need to purchase more books for example, how do you think they will work out how much extra I will have to pay, would they do it on a month by month basis?
Lesley

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:17 am
Your IP may decide to ignore the bursary as it is needed for specific things like books, travel etc and is not overtime, bonus, commission. As Kazza says you should list what the money is for over the course of a year and no doubt there will be little or nothing left for creditors after the expenses are taken into account.
Michael Peoples | McCambridge Duffy Insolvency Practitioners
http://www.mccambridgeduffy.com
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com

Lesley.01

Post by Lesley.01 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:05 pm
Thank you Michael, I will definitely make a list before I inform the IP at Freeman Jones. Thanks again for your advice.

Shining

Post by Shining » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:24 pm
Well done on being accepted for the course, a great achievement in itself. Hopefully your IP will see that you will require many books I'm sure along with other essential items.
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

Lesley.01

Post by Lesley.01 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:30 pm
Thank you Lesley, I hope so :)

abbiesmum2003

Post by abbiesmum2003 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:50 am
congratulations on getting a uni place! I hope you get budget sorted with your IP. Is it nursing youre doing? If so shop around for your texts and utilise librarys, hospital based ones usually well stocked and up to date. Students can usually get access to use them so ask around. Make contacts with students in other year groups where possible and buy their second hand texts once no longer needed as long as still relevant. Best of luck with your training!

Lesley.01

Post by Lesley.01 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:17 am
Thank you so much! That's really good advice, I am going to be studying midwifery :) Have you studied nursing? Were you on the IVA when you did it by any chance or did it affect your bursary?
9 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”