My wife doesn't want anything to do with my IVA.

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
4 posts Page 1 of 1

Charanjit

Post by Charanjit » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:57 am
Hi
I joined an iva in december and my wife got dragged into it. Does this mean she is apart of my debt? my wife in the review does not any part of it, does this mean she will get into trouble over my debt? The iva company told me that they just wanted to find out how much she was earning and how much she worked for. that lied to me because they told me that the I stands for individual, and has nothing to do with her? please help. As my wife does not want anything to do with them.
Please help. If an iva fails can you pay your creditors outside the iva it with what you are paying them?

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:11 am
Your wife does not have to be part of the IVA and she is not liable for the debt. The IP firm will need to see her details at the beginning to make sure she pays her fair share and the payments are affordable but other than that she is not involved.
Michael Peoples | McCambridge Duffy Insolvency Practitioners
http://www.mccambridgeduffy.com
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com

Julie

Post by Julie » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:16 pm
When my hubby was in an IVA , he had to declare my income as part of household income but I was never part of the IVA. My credit rating has been affected due to association.

If the IVA fails, you are back to square 1 and you can agree payments with the crudités, but they will probably add interest and charges. Do you think the IVA will fail?

Radish

Post by Radish » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:28 pm
When I was with my partnet at the start of the IVA - she did not work or have anything to do with the debt. They put a clause in that if she found work - I would have to pay extra...when she did'nt, DFD tried to extend my payments for lost income. I totally refused and told them I would "fail" my IVA with 1 year left if they forced extra payments because she could not find work..They accepted this and did not pursue.. They did try to maximise the return, however I would not accept it on the grounds of revenue I never had :-/ Got to stand your ground sometimes.
IVA complete March 2014 after 6 years.
4 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”