Should I say that I am moving into property as a partner or as a tenant ?

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
3 posts Page 1 of 1

Annadl65

Post by Annadl65 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:10 pm
Hi,
I have been in an iva for about 6 months and my boyfriend has just bought a flat and would like us to move in together. He does not like sharing his income information and wants me to sign a tenancy agreement to protect his property and it would be useful for the iva.

Now the question is do I tell the iva people that he is actually my partner but wanted me to sign a tenancy agreement and has no intention showing his income to anyone or just that I am moving to a new flat share. He just suggested a reasonable price for rent in that area which is £600 plus bills. (Also his mortgage is about £1100 a month)

I think on council tax bills it asks the relationship of all people in the house. Is it ok to say partner on that and tell iva that I am just renting?

Thanks a lot for your answers,

Car1e

Post by Car1e » Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:15 pm
I think Anna you need to be honest, it is always the best policy. Any deceit could put your IVA at risk because people may then wonder what else you have been economic with the truth about. He is your partner, he wants you to sign a tenancy agreement. Tell the IVA company exactly that and that he won't share his income. They will then be best placed to advise you.
We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars - Oscar Wilde. My blog: http://car1e.blogs.iva.co.uk/

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:41 am
What you are suggesting is fine provided it is the reality. Set up a standing order to pay him each month and there can be no comeback for you. Your partner will need to declare this income and will likely incur a tax liability.
Michael Peoples | McCambridge Duffy Insolvency Practitioners
http://www.mccambridgeduffy.com
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com
3 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”