Creditor phone calls

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
10 posts Page 1 of 1

Blueskies

Post by Blueskies » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:04 am
Hello again

Started the process of the IVA and all detailed posted back to IP...I've received a number of calls from creditors but they've all been missed so far as been out the room and not heard phone or they've called when I've been in work and have to have phone in bag. So far except for 1 call, they've not left a message.

Should I try and ensure I can answer at least one of their calls though they've all been genuinely missed so far to explain thr situation? Concerned that if I don't speak to them at least once they may use this as a reason to decline the IVA. Or look unfavourably at it.

Would prefer to email the situation to them rather than speaking to them but realise emails may not get to thr right person.

Thanks

Adam Davies

Post by Adam Davies » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:42 am
Hi

The people you speak to will have no say over your IVA, they are not the decision makers

Don't be worried about speaking to them, just inform them of your pending IVA and give them your IP details. Do not make any payment

Regards
Andam Davies

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:00 am
These calls are often from call centres, who have no detailed knowledge, other then what is on the screen in front of them. Their only purpose is to get a payment, which you must not comply with. From my experience, many do not even know what an IVA is, but will try to bluff through it.

Just give them your IP's details and end the call. As Andy says, this will not impact upon the IVA getting accepted.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:09 am
Good advice above and it is really difficult to get calls stopped. Hopefully the IVA is approved soon and the calls will then be over.
Michael Peoples | McCambridge Duffy Insolvency Practitioners
http://www.mccambridgeduffy.com
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com

Blueskies

Post by Blueskies » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:06 pm
Andy, Foggy and Michael - thank you. One missed call when I was helping dad with shopping earlier today but I'm sat here waiting for them to call so I can give them the info if they do call again when I'm around.

Thanks for the reassurance regarding the fact that if I don't get to the calls, this won't have a bearing on decision. Rationally, knew this was probably the answer but your mind plays tricks on you and gets you overthinking of anything that could go wrong and affect the decision. Roll on the meeting date so i can leave you all alone for a while then. Haha.

Thank you all again. Much appreciated.

Shining

Post by Shining » Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:19 pm
I personally used to answer them as I found it bought me a little time rather than them ringing every hour as it's been reported some do!

Even if they ring the next week. I had a script and knew it off by heart but basically they were doing their job and no amount of pressure/persuassion made me pay a penny to any of my crediors.
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

Goosed

Post by Goosed » Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:27 pm
Hi Blueskies,

Some creditors are more vigilant in their pursuit of you than others,

When I stopped making payments to my creditors I wrote to each of them explaining my impending IVA, asking them to forward correspondence to my IP, and I also phoned them all once.

Only two of my eight creditors (Barclaycard and Halifax) really chased me...and boy did they chase me constantly even though they knew the situation.

I actually always have my land line phone on silent anyway so never answered any calls or replied to any messages, my creditors never had my mobile number, any letters I forwarded to my IP.
"When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea".

Eric Cantona

Blueskies

Post by Blueskies » Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:41 pm
Thanks Lesley and Goosed - I've not been screening calls - if I'm about when they call or not in work, will pick up but so far they seem to have the habit of phoning when I'm away from phone and indisposed (won't expand) or making a cuppa or taking dog out.

They phoned earlier when I was in the other room and I thought I had the phone on the loudest ringtone setting but still missed their call!

The sooner I speak to one the better really as I can practice my script and get it over and done with, maybe taking it into the loo will be an idea actually as they'll soon get off the phone if they realise! Anyway, just have to stand firm re not offering token payments as been advised not worth it by my contact at my IP.

Thanks to you all. Had the day off today to sort some bits for my dad looking after mum and avoid the post derby piss taking had we lost, and in between been reading old posts on here. Makes a change from Vogue magazine anyway!

MissBrightside

Post by MissBrightside » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:32 pm
Hi Blueskies, I think I'm at the same point as you in the IVA process - strangely I'm not getting missed calls just automated voice calls straight through to my answer phone. I've had a few letters and text messages - mainly from Barclays and Santander so yesterday I sat down and write to them all.
Can we climb this mountain? I know we can make it if we take it slow.

kazzafunk

Post by kazzafunk » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:39 pm
I just sussed out and unplugged my home phone! Egg gave me so much grief on my mobile that I changed my mobile number and life got a lot easier!

It's really hard to deal with the calls and be prepared for some to carry on for a few weeks after the IVA is approved. Although they are a lot easier to deal with when you know everything is approved!

Hang in there - it gets easier.
Kazza

Please visit my blog:
http://kazzafunk.blogs.iva.co.uk/

IVA completed 21/03/2012
10 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”