Kids have not had a holiday in 3 years. Don't want them to suffer for our mistakes.

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
10 posts Page 1 of 1

Mark.29

Post by Mark.29 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:30 pm
Kids have not had a holiday in 3 yrs dont want them to suffer for our mistakes. Is there any letup at all on this subject?
Thanks in advance

Imhotep

Post by Imhotep » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:46 pm
Not really. You can try to squirrel away a bit here and there from your allowance.

The furthest our kids have been over the last 4 - 5 years is a Travelodge or Premiere Inn.
Last edited by Imhotep on Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:52 pm
We took to camping -- and little Foggy loved it. There are also the famous Sun Holidays.

Kids don't suffer from lack of holidays and will love a day in the park with a ball and some ice cream just as much --- the important thing to them is your company not the location.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

Til

Post by Til » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:54 pm
For what it's worth our daughter hasn't had a holiday in 5 years. However she has not 'suffered' for it. We make efforts to have days out when the budget allows and free adventures in local parks and wildlife areas. We also once saved up for a cheap Caravan holiday in the Lakes as you can get bargains on these if you shop around. A 'Holiday' is what you make it and can be something as daft as a day out far afield to visit family. That's what my daughter thinks anyway and I know when we start having 'proper' holidays again after the IVA is done she'll appreciate them all the more and I will rest easy knowing they are all paid up front and not on credit like they were pre iva x
"Hope is the feeling you have that the feeling you have isn't permanent." - Jean Kerr

IVA approved Aug 2008 - 6 year term - last payment made 6 Oct 2014. CC received 14 Nov 2014.

relieved33

Post by relieved33 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:59 pm
We stayed with friends and stayed in travelodge rooms. Even though we are out of iva, the good habits are carrying on. I have booked travelodge for October half term for three for £29. We out yesterday to theme park with cheap tickets and took a picnic even though we could have bought food. I almost begrudge paying for things having had to watch the money so carefully for five years!

Quality time is important to children. Do you live by the sea? We live in the Midlands and the petrol costs were a issue in addition to accommodation.

dancer

Post by dancer » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:03 pm
Don't tell my kids .....they haven't had a holiday in 10 years (now nearly adults so won't want to holiday with us by the time we can afford it!!!)

bridgey

Post by bridgey » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:13 am
Holidays dont have to be expensive trips abroad in the sun for kids to have a really good time.

Just this weekend we took our 2 in to the New Forest for a picnic and walk. Cost? about £5 for the food. Result? A lovely day that the eldest is still raving about.

I would highly recommend the Sun holidays, too. The have a Sun+ thing you can sign up to (£9.99/month - which you can canx the day after booking) and this gives you priority booking and you can find out there and then when/where you go.

We've booked ours for this year, and are going to Butlins (Bognor) for 4 nights in November. Total cost <£80 for 2 adults and 2 kids. Bargain. We're going self catering, so the money we would have spent at home on food, will just be used here instead.

An IVA is a pain in the backside sometimes, but as with everything, it is what you make it.
Half the lies you tell aint true

Shining

Post by Shining » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:58 am
I used Travelodge a lot when I was in my IVA and still continue to do so. I only had one school age child so it wasn't too bad and we did more family things which she did enjoy. It's not forever and they will get a holiday whether it be a budget one in an IVA or you wait for a treat when IVA has finished whichever one enjoy your family and cherish them by giving them time a they're so quickly grown up and fled the nest like mine have now.
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

ivamess

Post by ivamess » Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:40 pm
We never, ever had holidays as kids or when growing up. We just played with our friends during school holidays and it was fine for us
I'm now self employed and husband and I have not been on any holidays since 2002; in fact we don't even tend to take any time off.
I don't think holidays are necessary and I do wonder at this culture of "depriving the kids because we haven't been abroad this year" that I read of in the papers, and the fact that parents are taking their kids out of school.
I sound a right meanie but it's only in recent years that a holiday abroad/away each year has become a "necessity". They're nice to have but not essential.

Imhotep

Post by Imhotep » Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:48 pm
When I was a kid the furthest we ever got was a weekend at a B&B in Blackpool. We done the odd Pontin's and Butlin's but it was mostly B&Bs. But when I was a kid the summer holidays were six weeks of sun, sun, sun.

My parents have never even been abroad to this day. My mum passed away at Easter and the furthest she ever got was London for their honeymoon.
10 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”