Putting things into perspective

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
6 posts Page 1 of 1

esgt1967

Post by esgt1967 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:03 pm
Picked up a leaflet from church recently and although you may not be religious, there are some very wise words in there.

"What a wonderful world this would be if we could simply be content with what we have and not feel the need to bow to the pressure that we may face each day to acquire more material possessions. Many people believe that if they are rich, they will be happy. Often the more money we have, the more we want but one day all our riches will be gone. We should love people more than money, every day we should consider what we have rather than what we don't have. If we have somewhere to live, clothes to wear and food to eat, we should be grateful. Money has great power and we can crave it more than anything else. We may worry about money and sometimes waste too much time trying to make more of it, at the expense of doing other important things. Wealth promises power and control but seldom delivers either. Money cannot provide health, love or happiness."

These words echo what I have come to realise/appreciate after entering into an IVA - having loads of "stuff" doesn't make you happy or rich, but having the love of your family and friends and spending time with them does make you very happy and when you have that happiness, money really isn't that important.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:12 pm
I must admit that those words sort of encapsulate how I felt when I started my IVA ---- freedom from those stresses and harkening back to a simpler time when, if you couldn't afford it, you didn't have it.

More importantly, I don't care what other people have and, if they are that interested in what I have, they lead pretty boring lives :-)

On top of that, what I DO have is paid for :-)
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:13 pm
I might add -- although it probably flies in the face of what the church was trying to put across --- I still feel pretty smug at not owing anybody a penny !

Wrong, I know ... but I still need my evil pleasures !!!
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

relieved33

Post by relieved33 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:13 pm
I updated my blog this morning with a very similar sentiment.

Our IVA has certainly made us reassess our priorities and has helped us find pleasures in simple, free things.

I some sick way, I am pleased we have learned what we have the hard way.

Shining

Post by Shining » Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:29 pm
A shame I had to learn the hard way as now at 53 I really should have a lot more than I have and be in a stable position and despite being debt free I have nothing apart from a house that I'm never going to pay for so it'll have to be sold. Having said all that the post about having a terminal illness makes me realise a house is the least of my worries.
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

esgt1967

Post by esgt1967 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:17 am
The church actually says there is nothing wrong with borrowing money as long as you can pay it back so, Foggy, you can still have your evil pleasure!
6 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”