Can we put joint debts into IVA ?

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
7 posts Page 1 of 1

Alan.22

Post by Alan.22 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:23 pm
can we put joint debts into iva

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:31 pm
Joint debts must be listed whether one or both parties enter the IVA. One party can remain outside the IVA and continue to repay the joint creditors if this is affordable. Any IP firm will do an income and expenditure account and advise further.
Michael Peoples | McCambridge Duffy Insolvency Practitioners
http://www.mccambridgeduffy.com
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com

Alan.22

Post by Alan.22 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:47 pm
me and my wife want to do joint iva and put all our debts together with one payment a month to cover both debts is this possible thanks

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:09 pm
This is possible and quite common. However before you do that the IP would need to look at the list of debts and income and expenditure. Sometimes for example one party takes on most of the debt and the other does not need an IVA but if this is not the case it is common to do a proposal for both parties. Technically it is not 'joint' but interlocking but the reality is that you make one payment and all the debts are listed.

I hope this makes sense so get some free advice from an IP firm and good luck with the proposals.
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com

Alan.22

Post by Alan.22 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:21 pm
thanks do we have control over our bank account we have no assets or savings we have joint account my wife does not work we have 2 children 7and 13 do we have to set up separate account for iva payment to come out we have my wages my wifes tax credit and child benefit all going into one account

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:29 pm
Hi Alan. As long as the bank isn't one of your creditors you should be OK (providing it isn't First Direct or HSBC). Some banks will put you on a basic account.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:29 pm
You can effectively treat the IVA payment as a 60 month loan repayment and how you wish to pay is entirely your concern. Your IP should not act as 'Big Brother'.
7 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”