Hi, wanting some advice really about PPI claims after receiving completion certificate

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
3 posts Page 1 of 1

george123

Post by george123 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:52 pm
hi wanting some advice really. We completed the IVA March 2013 by putting a final offer in as due to my ill health we couldn't continue paying into IVA. However it took the IVA company a full yr to give us our completion certificate stating that PPI was holding things up. We had to formally complain to get our certificate in the end.

After the completion certificate it came to light that one of the creditors was re looking into our complaint with PPI and another one has sent me an offer of compensation after re looking into our claim (originally it was rejected). The letter states that we were still in IVA which we weren't and they hadn't changed my last name to my married name either. I informed the Payment protection claims department who originally did all this for us and they r going to ring our IVA company up to ask if they still have an interest in this money even though we have our completion certificate. Months ago I rang the IVA company up and asked them and they said if the creditor informs them of the PPI then yes it goes back into IVA, if they don't and pay myself then no as they wont know about it. Has anyone had any experience of all this and knows what happens. Im still ill and all this stress doesn't help me at all, I just want the PPI stuff sorted and then I can put it all behind us. It was 3 yrs since PPI claims started, a company was recommended to us from the IVA company to do this for us, they charge nearly 30% of the claims that r successful but I didn't care as just wanted someone else to sort It as was ill, I have really had enough of it all and want to be able to move on from it

george123

Post by george123 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:16 pm
UPDATE: It seems that one of the companies is sending me a cheque directly for the PPI claim and I have to pay both the PPI company and the IVA company that money. I rang the PPI company up today and they had rung the IVA company yesterday asking if they had an interest in any of the monies . They said yes and that this was told to me in May. When I rang the IVA company up in May they said if a creditor goes to them directly then yes they r interested, if a creditor contacts me personally and not them then no because they don't know about it. This creditor didnt inform the IVA company but just myself by letter. I informed the PPI company as didn't want to take the hassle on myself due to ill health, they have then rung IVA company and told them. When ive complained about this they just said you need to speak to the IVA company, explain your personal circumstances (I..e ill health) and that you were misinformed by them and they may let you keep the money themselves but its up to IVA company. I want to complain to PPI company too. Someone is ringing me tomo at 12 but im just going to say im not well enough to talk ,ding it all in writing.

Thing that is annoying is after I spoke to IVA company about the PPI and certificate one case was reopened and is still ongoing, causing me more hassle as I feel I cant move on from it all and is affecting my health even more. If I had know that all monies would go into the IVA even though I had completion certificate I wouldn't have given permission to reopen cases and wouldn't have signed acceptance form for this other creditor who is paying the money. This was told to the PPI company b4 I signed the phone, I specifically asked if I would be getting the money and IVA not and only if I were then I would sign and the PPI company said yes you get it as you have completion certificate. This creditor didn't even ask if the IVA company had an interest in the money, whereas the final one that has been dragging their feet has said yes they want a letter and this info was kept from me as well until now.

Seemingly Im going to get the money directly by cheque to myself by end of October. As I want to complain about the PPI company can I refuse to give them their cut until a full investigation is been looked into about my issues? Im not contacting the IVA company and waiting to hear from them about this money - if I do hear from them again I want to refuse payment until a full investigation is done as really not happy with the misinformed info both have given. Im not saying I wont pay them eventually just that im not happy with service and until I get a satisfactory explanation im not prepared to pay them the money.

The one that has been dragging their feet has given a final answer of no ppi was misold and we didn't provide all the info (i.e. letter from IVA company saying no interest). The PPI company has sent a letter to the company saying IVA company r interested and re opened case and if no success wants to take it to financial ombud, can I refuse and say close it.

I wouldn't have started all this hassle up again if had known all monies would go to IVA, its never been about the money but about getting off the IVA and trying to build my life and health back and all this stress is making things worse. Part of me just wants to give them all the money and say im done, close remaining case and bye but another part of me says both companies misinformed me numerous times over the phone which means they will do it to others and this needs to be investigated so others don't have to go through what I have, help!!!!

Daviddw71

Post by Daviddw71 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:49 pm
I will explain how ppi was dealt with under my iva (which is now complete/cert issued). My IVA company identified during the course of arrangement that ppi might be due and if so would be paid in to the arrangement as it was a windfall as covered by the relevant clause. Subsequently I signed papers/completed forms as appropriate to allow the iva co to pursue ppi. At the time of my final iva payment the ppi monies had still not come through but my completion certificate was issued on the understanding the iva company would continue with the claims and any subsequent payments would go 100% in to the arrangement. I received my completion cert within 2 weeks of final payment. Bottom line, in my opinion, is that if one is aware of ppi while the iva is live it will probably be paid to the arrangement as per the windfall clause. If ppi is not identified during the arrangements lifetime you can probably keep the money. Does that help!!??
3 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”