Mis sold IVA

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
10 posts Page 1 of 1

hayleee

Post by hayleee » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:53 pm
Hi, I'd really like to hear from anyone who feels they have been mis-sold an IVA.

Like most people when I went into the IVA it was desperate times, I couldn't afford payments and had a young child to bring up, 6 years ago, the banks didn't care about responsible lending, I asked for a credit card for xmas shopping and was given a 10k limit even though I only earned 22k!! Then a loan to consolidate that approved, then I re spent the credit card...its goes on!....Of course it was my fault and no one else's, my partner left me high and dry with nothing in his name, and I felt Id let myself down and my child for being so silly! Then IVA answer to my dreams, my employers didn't need to know, I wouldn't loose my flat, debt free in 5 years, I even thought I was clever looked into the down sides, asking questions, I knew even though it would last 5 years it would effect my credit history for 6 years when all clear, I knew I might have to take equity out of flat if enough but after that I wouldn't have to disclose to anyone Id ever had an IVA, the company was great, wrote the statement for me, arranged everything, 5 years perfect, not one issue, I always did everything they asked and I even thought how amazing the company where....

Oooh until year 5-6 comes along and then you find out the extent of what you have done! I finished my IVA in year 5, not enough equity, i was crying with happiness telling the IVA company how amazing they are and was told bit of admin and my c-certificate would be in post! I've never been happier, then I get a letter NOV 2013 advising that PPI now needs to be done and they are extending my IVA for a max of a year to do this, I did think why haven't you started this before now but as I knew it would be on my credit file for 6 years didn't worry too much, enjoyed having some extra money each month and had a lovely Xmas, don't get me wrong I am grateful for those 5 years of no stress even though it was hard, I have always worked, I then met someone after the stress of 5 years was off me and we want to move but over 6 years later I still don't have my certificate as one of the PPi companies decided to set off money so I can't have it till that's sorted out! My original report states nothing about set off only PPI and says they can only extend up to a year if I had equity in my flat which I didn't! In the extension report of a year it advised a max of 1 year which is well over now.

Yet apparently only I have to abide by that legal document and I have to wait till the set off is sorted out with the financial obusman and the banks! I should of gone bankrupt if is known all of this, yes I would of lost the flat but I would of been stress free a long time ago and not depressed, How long will this take I ask! They don't know! I could be in this for years to come!! Also reading comments on here I see you do have to tell people you've had an IVA if you want a mortgage!! Hang on when I asked this 6 years ago I was told once those 6 years is up no one will ever need to know is what I was told!!

I think there are loads of people in my situation, who have abided by the rules, done as asked and now over 6 years later being held up by PPi or like me PPi completed but one creditor has set off! I really feel like I have been misold my PPi, all I actually want is my completion Cert, I feel they need to have more regulations in place, once you have done your time that's it, Your IVA supervior should be completing the PPi claims before 6 years if they fail to do so then it needs to be on their heads, Completion Cert needs to be given wether they have finished or not! Nothing was in my original report about it going over 6 years so why are they! Please contact me if you also feel you have been mis sold an IVA

Dougie

Post by Dougie » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:10 pm
I think the PPi debacle is well documented and there are many aggrieved customers stuck in this situation. Not sure I would say your IVA was mis-sold as it has done what it intended but the issue of PPI claims affecting closure really does need sorting at a national level so all firms are mandated to follow the same rules which should probably be to close the completed IVA and keep the PPi issue running for a set maximum time (maybe 12 months).

I've just had a F&F accepted after 5 years and have ended my IVA payment schedule 9 months early. However I of course had to agree to a PPi investigation, which I don't mind as I never took it out but I sincerely hope I am not still posting on here about it in any more than a few months time!
IVA Accepted - Sep 2009
F&F Accepted - Oct 2014
CC Received - Jul 2015

Til

Post by Til » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:39 pm
Who are you with Hayleee?

Could they not issue you with a Deed of Assignment to sign so that PPI can be dealt with after you've received your completion certificate?
"Hope is the feeling you have that the feeling you have isn't permanent." - Jean Kerr

IVA approved Aug 2008 - 6 year term - last payment made 6 Oct 2014. CC received 14 Nov 2014.

hayleee

Post by hayleee » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:42 pm
Yes I thought I didn't have any PPi also, but mine truly was misold as there was PPI on my loans I knew nothing about!! The misselling of my IVA isn't as I said about the debts as yes it's done what was intended however ili could of gone bankrupt with the same outcome, they told me 6 years max, it's over that, they mentioned PPi in orginal report but didn't state it would go over 6 years, why didn't thy start it till after I'd finished my Iva, also my extension report for a max of a year when it's well over this, I can't carry on with my life, I can't get a mortgage without declaring it even though I was told no one has to know after 6 years and credit report clear! Yes if course if I had my c-cert ID prob move on and never look back but to be told sorry but even though we've compleged PPI one of your creditors has set off some money so it's open for however long it takes is un acceptable and it will be unacceptable in tbe eyes of the law also once enough people bring this up:) I long for closure

hayleee

Post by hayleee » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:45 pm
Sorry auto typing has inserted some strange grammar above!

luluj

Forum Expert

Post by luluj » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:05 am
It is frustrating but I agree in that I do not think you were mis-sold your IVA. You are now debt free and waiting your completion certificate ..yes the PPI situation is frustrating but going bankrupt could have bought about a whole host of just as frustrating problems.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt

There is a solution for everyone .... Just need to stay positive !

Look at my blog "All I wanted was a baby"

hayleee

Post by hayleee » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:03 am
So you all think it's OK to make people feel so depressed as they thought an IVA would last 6 years max and its on going with no end in sight! I can't see people thinking this is right!!

TzeKin

Post by TzeKin » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:58 am
Longest post seen here but clearly personifies the Iva 'during and after affects' problem.

But it was never aways like this.

There is now complecent and knee-jerk regulation in this industry and not in clients interest only creditors interest.

MerlinL14

Post by MerlinL14 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:35 pm
No one on here feels it is OK to make people feel depressed. Most of us are in the same boat, up the same creek and minus the paddle. You asked a question, that in the best of interests, was answered using only the information you wrote. I am sorry that you feel that it wasn't what you wanted to hear but then we can only make opinions on how we perceive the situation.
I also don't think (an opinion) that your IVA was mis sold, it probably hasnt been managed to the best of their abilities or fully with your wishes at the front of each decision they made.
Last Payment made 04/12/14. Completion Certificate 25/7/15. IVA company GT. No Issues

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:39 pm
Cases like this reflect badly on the industry but all firms are not the same. There are many people who have successfully completed IVAs with reputable firms and are genuinely thankful at the outcome. I hope cases like this do not deter people from taking proper free independent advice but they certainly do not help.
Michael Peoples | McCambridge Duffy Insolvency Practitioners
http://www.mccambridgeduffy.com
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com
10 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”