Am I right that changes cannot be added if the account is in the IVA ?

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
2 posts Page 1 of 1

Coleen.l

Post by Coleen.l » Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:09 am
Hi,

My IVA ended after we had a windfall. I paid back every penny including interest and IVA fees. At the start (2 months in) of my IVA one of my direct debits attempted to take money from the wrong account - yorkshire bank(one that was in my IVA) as a result it was returned and yorkshire bank added a charge to the account. I have now fully paid what was agreed in the IVA however they have marked my credit file with partially satisfied because the added charge wasnt in the IVA. They say I defulted at �759, settled at �759 but the latest update said I owed �818. Can I demand that the change this? Am I right in saying that they cant add charges if the account is in the IVA? Thank you for your help.

Steve Rees

Post by Steve Rees » Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:19 pm
Hi Coleen,

You can challenge these entries and usually it is better to contact the creditor or lender in the first instance. However it might be best to check with your insolvency practitioner first as they may be able to contact the creditor on your behalf.

If this has been updated incorrectly the creditor should then adjust it for you. You can then contact the credit reference agencies directly and remember there are a few of them so you need to check that once resolved it updates on all of them.

You are right that once in an IVA an account cannot accrue interest or charges, that is why my feeling is that your IP will be able to resolve this for you.
Steve Rees - A spokesperson for IVA.co.uk and Director at Vincent Bond & Co.

Want to share your story? Highlighting the issues facing people in debt is often a story that the media want to hear about. iva.co.uk will pay up to £500 for a successful case study - if you are interested please email steve.rees@iva.co.uk for more details.

You can visit my blog at http://blog.vincentbond.com/
2 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”