PPI offset post IVA Completion

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
6 posts Page 1 of 1

JJSIDE

Post by JJSIDE » Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:22 pm
I completed my IVA successfully in 2009. At the time PPI was not heard of and not an issue with the IVA. In 2013 I started some PPI Claims which I persued personnaly and not through a CLaims company. I have been successful with a Claim with HFC Bank for a credit card that was included in the IVA. However before they paid me PPI compensation, they offset the debt included in the IVA, even though the IVA was closed 4 years before I claimed. Are they legally allowed to do that? And does anyone know if this has been challenged in Court? They offset more than 5K so I am interested if anyone can comment on my position here?
If nothing changes, nothing changes!

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:06 pm
HFC sold their insolvent debts to Max Recovery so I doubt if this debt even exists any more. The funds would be more likely to go to the IP than be offset and perhaps appeal to the ombudsman.
Michael Peoples | McCambridge Duffy Insolvency Practitioners
http://www.mccambridgeduffy.com
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com

JJSIDE

Post by JJSIDE » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:32 pm
Hi Michael, I have already contacted my IP and he said that the IVA was closed 5 years ago and he has no interest in the PPI Compensation going into the IVA and any PPI compensation is mine to keep- he says the IVA is closed and he is not dealing with closed IVA's. So you are saying they have offset against a debt that no longer is theirs? How can they do that?

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:50 pm
That is a very good question and one to ask them. If you still have a copy of the IVA final report it will list the creditors who were paid. See if HFC are even listed on there and if you cannot find the report your IP should still have it.
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com

JJSIDE

Post by JJSIDE » Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:31 pm
Thanks for that Michael and you are correct - the debt was sold on to Max Recovery in 2006. I had to go to the Ombudsman in the first place for the HFC compensation - I will go back to them and see what they think.

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:01 pm
You might have a good case there and keep us up to date with any progress.
6 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”