Should fuel costs and reductions in tax credits be taken in consideration ?

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
6 posts Page 1 of 1

Louisedy21

Post by Louisedy21 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:18 pm
I have received a letter from my IVA company saying that as my salary went up due to me changing from part time to full time hours I have to pay £2089 within 14 days. Part of my salary is reimbursement of travel costs for attending meetings and training but this is been counted as earnings. Also, due to my salary increasing my tax credits were reduced during this but they do not appear to have taken this into consideration. I am stressing about this as I do not have that kind of money to pay them. Am I wrong in assuming that reimbursement of fuel costs and the reduction in my tax credits should be taken into consideration in their calculations as I had, wrongly, thought that would balance things out. Thanks for your help

kazzafunk

Post by kazzafunk » Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:12 pm
I would set everything out in a new income and expenditure to show the decrease in tax credits.

With regards to the fuel allowance - if this is for additional mileage other than back and forwards to work it shouldn't be counted.
Kazza

Please visit my blog:
http://kazzafunk.blogs.iva.co.uk/

IVA completed 21/03/2012

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:23 pm
They should increase payments by 50% of the net increase (that is, after taking extra costs and lowered credits into consideration).
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

hubert

Post by hubert » Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:46 am
Hi Louise. Sounds like you need to get this cleared up quickly.

Lots of people on here get expenses reimbursed. They must not be included as "salary". What does your payslip say?

You don't pay tax or NI on expenses so they must either be excluded from your payslip or somehow denoted as expenses.

This is important evidence for you to present.

Your IVA is based on income and outgoings. If you had multiple incomes (wages and tax credits) then all needs to be taken into account. So in answer to your question, a reduction in tax credits does need to be taken into account just like a raise in wages.

Check it all yourself, make all the calculations yourself. If the figures do not match theirs, ask to see their calculations.

Who are you with?

I think it's important to say who you are with as it builds reputations and warns others away from troublesome companies.
One pay-cheque away from oblivion!

plasticdaft

Forum Expert

Post by plasticdaft » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:12 am
Given the substantial changes a new income and expenditure should be carried out. Dont panic too much about arrears as these can often be caught up with throughout the iva or tagged onto the end. It does need sorting out as soon as you can.

Paul
Discharged today the 8th feb 2012. View is much brighter now.
Continuing to rebuild our credit worthiness.

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:32 am
These issues are usually addressed vat the annual review and if done propoerly there may be little or no money owed. Speak to your IP and ask for a full file review.
Michael Peoples | McCambridge Duffy Insolvency Practitioners
http://www.mccambridgeduffy.com
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com
6 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”