Grant Thornton... completion certificate???

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
4 posts Page 1 of 1

AmyMack1

Post by AmyMack1 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:43 pm
I don't know if anyone can help me... I've seen some great advice on here and hope someone can shed some light on my hopeless situation.

My IVA was approved in November 2005 with Accuma and my Supervisor was someone called Nicola Francis. Grant Thornton took over and my new Supervisor is Gareth Neill or Mark Allen, I'm not sure because I've had letters signed off them both claiming to be my Supervisor. One annual report they sent me mentioned someone else completely - Matthew Frayne - and I've never even heard of him!??

Since Grant Thornton took over I've had loads of problems trying to get through to anyone that could help me.

In 2010 my creditors accepted a lump sum full and final settlement but Grant Thornton never cashed the cheque (they actually sent one back to me??) I kept chasing them because I was worried that my creditors would think I wasn't keeping to my part. I sent the cheque to Grant Thornton 3 times, my husband even hand delivered one to their Manchester offices when they were there... they finally cashed it in June 2013... 3 years later!! Luckily I had made sure that I never spent they money in all that time!

With that finally done I thought I would be getting my completion certificate because they told me it would be closed then... but it still hasn't come and now I can't get through to anyone that gives me a straight answer.

My husband and I want to move on with our lives and put all of this behind us. I don't want to even think of starting another new year with this hanging over us. When we went into the IVA, 9 years ago, we were told that the rules were very strict and we had to keep to our agreement and we have done that. We were told it would be a 5 or 6 year thing - not 9! Now I'm worried that my creditors will think we've done something wrong?

I just want this to be done with. What can I do??

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:52 pm
If you are getting no meaningful response try their complaints procedure.

GT's complaints procedure used to be ( haven't looked lately) notoriously difficult to find, but they posted this advice some time ago:

From earlier posts, this is the GT complaints procedure (if it gets as far as complaining to the Regulatory Body (IPA, in this case)the complaint will be against the IP ( who is the member) not the company (who is not):

1 If a client expresses unhappiness with the service provided by this firm, then in the first instance the concerns will be dealt with by the manager responsible for the area that gave rise to the complaint and you will receive a formal response in that regard within one month of the date of this letter. Should we require additional time to investigate the matter, you will of course be advised accordingly.

2 If the matter cannot be resolved by the relevant manager, you can then direct your complaint to my designated senior member of staff Mr Paul Madden at Grant Thornton, Waters Edge, Clarendon Dock, Belfast, BT1 3BH.

3 If you continue to be dissatisfied with my firm's response to your complaint, you can then write to Ms Fiona Beighton - the Head of Quality & Risk Management who deals with any complaints arising from the firm's recovery department - at Grant Thornton UK LLP, 30 Finsbury Square, London, EC2P 2YU.

In the unlikely event that my firm is unable to resolve your complaint you can then complain to my regulatory body – the Insolvency Practitioners Association.
Last edited by Foggy on Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

AmyMack1

Post by AmyMack1 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:00 pm
Thanks Foggy, I just didn't know where to start. My friend suggested I make a formal complaint, but I have been afraid to say anything before now in case it comes back on me. But the more I think about it it's not me that's not kept to my end of the agreement, it's them...

Shining

Post by Shining » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:31 am
2010 for completion and you've not had your certificate? That is ridiculous and you have every right to complain.
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.
4 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”