IVA is in my name only. Does my husband get to keep any of his increased earnings ?

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
7 posts Page 1 of 1

Sarahd7869

Post by Sarahd7869 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:43 am
Hello I am coming up for my second review since my first review I have become self employed and earn just over what I was as otherwise employed my iva is with just myself but they have so far taken my husband's earnings into account on I and e sheet so no money left for him he might as well be in joint I v a my question is next year he has to change is working pattern and work continental shifts

3 on and 3 off to include weekends .He will however be paid more shift pay

120 to 160 pounds extra a month so does he get to keep this in his own right as I will be asked of proof of his wage slips and his earnings are taken into account but this iva is in my name only not a joint one any advice please

Shining

Post by Shining » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:58 am
Technically your husband's income should only be looked at to ensure a fair split in the outgoings, however I've read on here before this isn't always the case. I would definitely hope the increase in his earnings can be kept by him as like you say he's not in the IVA.
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

luluj

Forum Expert

Post by luluj » Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:41 am
Your husbands income should only be used to assess a fair contribution to household income and expenditure which in turn sets your iva payment. Any additional income from your husbands employment will be taken into account at the next review (only if the additional income is guaranteed and not considered as overtime) - this my understanding of the situation.
For specific case advice your IP needs to be contacted.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt

There is a solution for everyone .... Just need to stay positive !

Look at my blog "All I wanted was a baby"

Til

Post by Til » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:55 am
Which firm are you with Sarahd as its always been my understanding that whilst your husbands contribution to the house should be taken into account to ensure it is proportionate to his earnings, the rest of his money should be his to do with as he pleases. He is not in the IVA afterall.

However I do know some firms don't seem to work this way.
"Hope is the feeling you have that the feeling you have isn't permanent." - Jean Kerr

IVA approved Aug 2008 - 6 year term - last payment made 6 Oct 2014. CC received 14 Nov 2014.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:39 am
One of the large "charity" organisations uses the total household income to calculate disposable income, effectively making everyone in the family pay the debt.

In theory, in this event, only 50% of any increase should go into the IVA. This, of course, should be offset by any losses or increases in expenditure incurred elsewhere.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

Sarahd7869

Post by Sarahd7869 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:54 am
Thankyou for your replies I was with pathfinder but the company who collect my payments and I have to send I and e is his recovery so now not sure who I am with the up from pathfinder has not been in touch with me since my iva was accepted so looks like was passed on to his recovery

H j s recovery and I p not u p

Sarahd7869

Post by Sarahd7869 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:01 am
My husband already pays £500 more than me a month towards the household bills so there is no money left for him only from the allowance
7 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”