I now have th change DDs. Is it going to be the nightmare I suspect it might be ?

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
11 posts Page 1 of 1

TinaLouise

Post by TinaLouise » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:44 pm
I have just had the bombshell phone call from First Direct that they are giving me 90 days to find another alternative bank (extended as I am disabled) and have a current IVA in place since 15th August. I have been with them just over 11 years!!!

What the point I have money in my account rarely used my overdraft, and having a saving account with them, I feel penalised as I was told by Freeman Jones that I should close my Nationwide Account as I had a credit card with them and if they found out they would have frozen my current account, no mention by them that in due course First Direct would in fact take their facilities away from me.

I have now the dreaded mission off changing DD, benefit agencies, and so on....Is it gonna be the nightmare I suspect it might be....feeling very cheated and dont know where to start :(
Tina Jenner

relieved33

Post by relieved33 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:47 pm
First Direct always close iva accounts I believe.

Try to co-op. They have a switch service, you can get £100 and they sort out the direct debits.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:50 pm
Hi -- changing banks these days is not as hard and the bank do most of the work for you. I am surprised FJ did not warn you about First Direct as they are notorious for doing this, they, along with HSBC, simply hate IVA's.

Co-Op Cashminder is a firm favourite, and I am sure other posters will come up with others who are IVA tolerant.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

ilikewatch

Post by ilikewatch » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:12 pm
Barclays basic account is IVA friendly, I also consider Barclays to have one of the best online/app offerings.
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."

esgt1967

Post by esgt1967 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:13 pm
We opened account with Natwest as they were not one of our creditors and have had no problems at all. Have actually opened another account with them since being in IVA.

flossom

Post by flossom » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:35 pm
Santander and Nationwide have been good for us…no cheque books but debit cards on both

MerlinL14

Post by MerlinL14 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:10 pm
Barclays have been great with me, from when I enquired about an account with them, to setting up all my DDs and making sure that it was as painless as possible. You have to apply in a branch, but even after telling than I was in my last year of an IVA they still gave me th full support of switching from a Secure Trust with monthly fees account to their basic banking. Full online and mobile app facilities.
Last Payment made 04/12/14. Completion Certificate 25/7/15. IVA company GT. No Issues

bridgey

Post by bridgey » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:26 am
Barclays are brilliant.

Absolutely no problem in setting up the account in Branch, and have full on line access and Visa Debit card.

Whats even better, is you can personalise your card with a picture :)
Half the lies you tell aint true

Credit-King

Post by Credit-King » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:40 am
I have a Co-Op cashminder which is a great account and has a very simple user interface online, nothing jazzy at all. I also strolled in to Barclays the other week and opened up a cash card account even though I took Barclaycard into my IVA.

Don’t worry about changing accounts it is pretty easy these days.

TinaLouise

Post by TinaLouise » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:38 am
Thank all all for your helpful advice, perhaps now its not going to be the nightmare I suspect, as most of you have said easy to do these days.
Tina Jenner

hubert

Post by hubert » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:03 pm
font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:<hr height="1" noshade>Originally posted by TinaLouise

Thank all all for your helpful advice, perhaps now its not going to be the nightmare I suspect, as most of you have said easy to do these days.
I can vouch for Barclays. I used the switch service and everything was effortless and seamless.

Tell them you are in an IVA when you apply, saves a bit of hassle with a credit check. If they know you're in an IVA they don't do one.

The only reason they do one is so they can offer you a better account (e.g. overdraft).

I walked out the bank with my new account already set up on my iPhone.

All DDs and balance changed over automatically, no hassle. I was very impressed.
One pay-cheque away from oblivion!
11 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”