Can we get a legally binding agreement to protect my interests from separated husbands IVA

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
2 posts Page 1 of 1

Trackster75

Post by Trackster75 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:40 pm
After some advice. Just separated with my husband who has an iva. We've sold a house we own (rent out) with around 15k profit.
I want to lower a lot of debts in my name, have enough money for us to have deposits to rent our own houses. We have 3 kids so this is a must.
The iva company say they want 50% of profit no matter what. This would leave me with not enough to be able to move forward financially as I'm having to give up work. 2 of our children have special needs.
Can the iva company do this? Can me and my ex get a legally binding agreement on how much settlement I get and the iva have to adhere?

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:41 pm
You need to speak to a solicitor as a judge may award more than 50% in any settlement. Your IP has to work on a presumption of joint ownership and equal equity share. Your husband could put forward a variation asking creditors to give you a higher share and avoid the costs of litigation which may be a fair compromise.
Michael Peoples | McCambridge Duffy Insolvency Practitioners
http://www.mccambridgeduffy.com
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com
2 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”