I am very unnerved by demands from debt collectors after IVA finished January 2013

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
61 posts Page 1 of 5

Michelle.23

Post by Michelle.23 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:45 pm
I had an email congratulating me on completing my iva from the ip jan 13. I have recently started receiving letters from debt collectors asking for money for some of these debts. My credit history on experian is excellent. I have recently bought a house and had a baby. I am very unnerved by these letters, could I loose my house. I rang the ip and they said they no longer work for me. Should I ignore these letters or send them a copy of my email. I don't know what to do, can you please advice me.

El Presidio

Post by El Presidio » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:54 pm
Surely they cannot come after you once the IVA is completed?

As far as I was aware, an IVA is legally binding and your previous creditors cannot chase you for payment.

Debt collectors work on behalf of a company that previously would have owned your debt. You do not owe them any money IMO.

Michelle.23

Post by Michelle.23 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:24 pm
font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:<hr height="1" noshade>Originally posted by Michelle.23

I had an email congratulating me on completing my iva from the ip jan 13. I have recently started receiving letters from debt collectors asking for money for some of these debts. My credit history on experian is excellent. I have recently bought a house and had a baby. I am very unnerved by these letters, could I loose my house. I rang the ip and they said they no longer work for me. Should I ignore these letters or send them a copy of my email. I don't know what to do, can you please advice me.

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:40 pm
Send a copy of the completion statement to the debt collectors and they can sort it out with your IP and the original creditors. You are safe and your IP cannot just wash their hands of you.
Michael Peoples | McCambridge Duffy Insolvency Practitioners
http://www.mccambridgeduffy.com
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com

Michelle.23

Post by Michelle.23 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:00 pm
An email is all I have. People have since said that I should have had a certificate or something. I was so happy to have completed it I didn't question it. Will a copy of this suffice do you think ?

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:50 pm
Who was your IVA with ?

Are you still on the Insolvency Register ?

Yes, you should have had a completion certificate -- basically a letter saying that you have completed your responsibilities and that the IP no longer has any interest.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

Michelle.23

Post by Michelle.23 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:00 pm
Harrington Brooke's !

I just checked the register and I don't appear to be on there, is that good or bad ?

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:26 pm
Good -- it means a certificate must have been sent to them. Although HB no longer act they should still be willing to field these calls and, at the very least, provide you with a hard copy of your completion certificate.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

Michelle.23

Post by Michelle.23 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:41 pm
I have just received yet another letter from 1st credit saying they may search my credit file if I do not engage with them. What should I do, please help ?

MerlinL14

Post by MerlinL14 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:05 pm
Play them at their own game. Reply to the letter enclosing a copy of your CC. Insist that this is the last time you will enter into direct contact with them and have been advised by a solicitor, that will be acting on your behalf, that any further threats or litigious correspondence will be addressed with the intent of claiming compensation from 1st credit for undue stress and uncompromising efforts to resolve this matter. send the letter recorded and addressed to Leith Robertson
Executive Chairman.
Last edited by MerlinL14 on Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Last Payment made 04/12/14. Completion Certificate 25/7/15. IVA company GT. No Issues

hubert

Post by hubert » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:44 pm
Hi Michelle!

Don't panic, you won't lose your house. I bet this is all just a big mistake.

Debt collectors rely on fear and people's lack of knowledge. But really they have no more legal powers than a clown who does kids parties.

I don't mean to sound flippant but it's true.

They cannot arrest you, or send the police. They cannot take your home or your possessions. Nor can they harass you. They can't do much except try to look powerful and scary and hope you fall for it.

You said they may search your credit file if you don't engage with them.

Does that sound scary to you? They are hoping it does [:D]

Companies do credit file searches all the time for utility supply, insurance quotes, mobile phones etc... It's not something to fear. It's just a tool they use to confirm identity.

Communicate with them only in good old fashioned paper letters. That way you have time to consider your responses.

How many debts and how many different debt collectors are involved?

And are you absolutely 100% sure these debts were in your IVA?
One pay-cheque away from oblivion!

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:23 am
Listen to what Merlin has said as this is good advice. Unnecessary searches can damage your credit file so you would want this avoided.
Michael Peoples | McCambridge Duffy Insolvency Practitioners
http://www.mccambridgeduffy.com
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com

Michelle.23

Post by Michelle.23 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:00 am
font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:<hr height="1" noshade>Originally posted by Michael Peoples

Listen to what Merlin has said as this is good advice. Unnecessary searches can damage your credit file so you would want this avoided.

lifenoteasy

Post by lifenoteasy » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:16 am
At this point the critical thing is to get them off your back - if these debts were in your IVA then what they are doing is fundamentally illegal and they are in the wrong.

If they are also ringing your mobile most new phones have a block number feature - use it.

Also, if they do the common thing of "For Data Protection can you confirm your name, address etc." and they have rung you and you have not previously dealt with them they are blagging i.e. getting you to confirm information that they can use against you just end the call.
IVA started March 2011, Completed March 2016 and certificate issued 11 days after final payment. It was not always easy but then some of the best decisions aren't.

Michelle.23

Post by Michelle.23 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:20 am
This is going from bad to worse. I decided to contact HB to ask for help and a copy of my certificate. they have just replied saying my iva failed due to arrears and the congratulations completion email must have been sent in error !!!! Therefore crediors are within their rights to chase me for the debt. They made no attempt to contact me at all. Why would I pay for 5 years then just default. I have repaired my credit file, bought a house and had a baby. I'm going to loose my house and probably my partner. How can they just default me without me knowing. I am beside myself, please advice me.
61 posts Page 1 of 5
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”